Respected Contributor

If I were in the market for a couch today, I'd be very tempted by the Novogratz Vintage Tufted Sofa Sleeper II, which is sold at Walmart. It's a tufted sleeper sofa, very old-fashioned or traditional in looks, but it's just @$299 in burgundy and $349 in the five other colors. They offer free pickup to the store, but otherwise there's a freight charge.

Honored Contributor

I have a huge sectional with recliners and I hate them.    They are heavy, I used to be able to move it around to clean but no more.    I would like to have a sectional with 2 pieces, one being the sofa and the other piece a chaise.   My DS & DIL have one and I love theirs.

@Puzzle Piece

Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece 

My thoughts are if you have a separate or 'formal' living room (even if it isn't actually formal...) that an attractive and still somewhat comfortable sofa would be my choice... The overstuffed, recliner and so on styles would be a better choice for a family room or den... If one only has one room dedicated to sitting, TV watching and so on, then I'd opt for comfort, but still think you can have a stylish piece... 'Recliner' chairs are one thing, but recliner sofas will never find a place in my home...

Woman Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Re: Sofas/Couches

[ Edited ]

Smith brothers,they are great  made in usa.And i agree,don't like those reclining sofas, i am looking also my sofa is 17 years old, i am going with smith brothers.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I need (really it's more "I Want") a new sofa. Mine is about 25 years old, and while still in perfect condition, I'm tired of looking at it. It is on hold, because I need to replace the picture window in the living room first, then install crown molding, then paint and carpet, and the new furniture should be last!

Buying a new sofa is even harder than buying a mattress in my opinion. Finding the style you love doesn't always come with the fit or comfort you are looking for. Going for comfort often leaves you with choices that don't look like you want them to in your room.

In the family room, I could live with the reclining type sofas (in fact I saw one at the Lazy Boy showcase shoppe that I thought was even 'nice' enough to be in the living room....didn't fit the usual overstuffed man cave look most of them have), but I don't usually see them in any style I really love for the living room. 

In fact, I'm considering ditching the sofa all together in the living room and go with a love seat in it's place. It will open up the room a little more, cost less, and give enough seating for what times we actually use the room (we use our family room much more). 

Good luck with the sofa hunting...I really don't envy you!

Respected Contributor

Hate leather.  Its hot and sticky in summer and freezing in the winter.  I prefer fabric.  Also, I have found for us anyway, that a 2 cushion sofa is a problem.  People tend to sit right in the middle and subsequently it looks like the cushions have shrunk leaving a huge, uncomfortable gap. Time to replace it. 

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Smith brothers,they are great  made in usa.And i agree,don't like those reclining sofas, i am looking also my sofa is 17 years old, i am going with smith brothers.

I have an almost 20 year old Smith Brothers sofa and chair in the family room, and they have really been 'abused'. Still look great, and the sofa is just now getting a little 'loose' in the seat. I hate to replace them, and probably won't for quite some time yet, as they still look like new and I love the style and fabric as much as the day I chose them.

Valued Contributor

Re: Sofas/Couches

[ Edited ]

I think the recliner sofas are more for a family/tv room. The leather reclining with cupholders reminds me of car interiors and theaters. I prefer a regular sofa in fabric, at least with removable seat cushions.

I just had my seat cushions' foam replaced. Repeating myself again, I have a Flexsteel couch, it is built too well. The foam, after 10 years, was showing it's age. I don't care for the fabric color anymore, so the estimate for re-covering starts at $900 and goes up by fabric choice. Haven't made up my mind to choose a new Flexsteel or new fabric. 

Honored Contributor

Who cares if it's the "thing"???

Loveseats are great, too.

Frequent Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

I am in the market for a new sofa/couch.  Seems the thing is to buy those recliner type sofas.  I might understand those for my den but not my living room.  Do you have them and are you happy with them in your home? 

I must be set on my ways because I still think a sofa looks nice. Many have the overstuffed leather sofas and they resemble the recliner styles and leather isn't for me. 

Your thoughts please. 

I'm looking too, and notice that the Danish Modern style I have always loved is back "in!" Not that that matters to me, but what it means is there are a lot of selections to choose from now, and that's pretty darned exciting. You might really like the style.

I found a company called Joy Bird and they make the furniture to order. You get to pick out your fabric, wood stain, etc., and it's not too pricey considering all that. I think it was $3000 for a large, elegant sectional. Free shipping, you can even return it free within 14 days.

You can even pick pet/kid resistant fabrics. Smiley Wink Here are some.

Calhoun Corner Sectional - Photo by Harley Rangel

Hyland Corner Sectional - Photo by Beth P.

Main Gallery Image

They'll send you swatches free, and they're gorgeous. It really does arrive like this!

Free Swatches

I'm going to keep doing some research.  I can't speak to anything other than the quality of their service so far and their fabrics, but it's been a great experience so far.  Good luck! Smiley Happy