Honored Contributor

Ugh!

So far the experience is pretty much as expected.

First one came today. It is the stretchy (Sure Fit) kind that Q often shows. Color was tan and had some very light striping. Color was nice, but it is way too big for my sofa. These are designed for more modern, larger sofas (even though the measurements of my sofa did fit within the guidelines they suggested).

I feel these are made for really larger scale, over stuffed type furniture. It is incredibly huge, and even with massive tucking, it is sloppy looking. 

The worst part is that you can see the original upholstery right through it, though. My sofa is rather light, a cream background with light blue checks and pink tiny flowers (don't judge me, it was the 90's!). It shows through the slipcover in even very low lighting. So these are very thin and transparent.

So, cover number one is a no go.

BUT...I have learned a couple of things, so not a lost cause. First, I am loving the look of a more solid sofa. Second, it is helping me hone in on what colors/shades are looking like with my wood furniture. 

One more cover yet to arrive, and it is totally different style, fabric (not the stretchy stuff) and I don't hold out much hope for it fitting either. My sofa (unlike me!) is very slender and graceful, with a soft camel back, small rolled arms and just rather demure. These covers just seem to be made for much puffier pieces.

I'll report back after that one comes. 

Oh, I have left the cover on tonight, just to get a feel for what it will be like to have a solid sofa! Loving the look/idea of it.

Honored Contributor

I had one experience with slip cover years ago at my parents winter home.  I was a nightmare to put on and when someone sat down, it moved.  It had to be constantly straightened.  I don't doubt that I was part of the problem.  That was not my forte.  Hope you have better luck. 

Valued Contributor

One of the things I really miss is the people who made beautifully fitted slipcovers tailored to your furniture.  It was cheaper than having things upholstered.  Now It is hard to find upholsterers themselves.

I remember the nightmare of having to return one of those stretchy covers that didn't fit.  It was like wrestling an elephant to fold it back up.

Honored Contributor

Re: Slipcover update!

[ Edited ]

@athenian

JC Penny use to have them.  Not sure if they still do.  They do still customize drapes for your home or apt.  My mother is the JC Penny queen when it comes to customizing/personalizing her home.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@athenian wrote:

One of the things I really miss is the people who made beautifully fitted slipcovers tailored to your furniture.  It was cheaper than having things upholstered.  Now It is hard to find upholsterers themselves.

I remember the nightmare of having to return one of those stretchy covers that didn't fit.  It was like wrestling an elephant to fold it back up.

@athenian

I have no intention of 'wrestling the elephant' (and that was funny, made me laugh), I saved the box it was shipped in (will be returning to Kohl's at the store) but no way I can cram that thing back in the plastic zipper pouch.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio, I won't judge your ivory with light blue checks and tiny pink flowers sofa.  It sounds as cute as can be, actually.  If I had room, and I don't, I'd take it off your hands and use it in a girly room.  

We went comfy and practical and chose a solid brown leather sofa and loveseat, with built-in recliners.  There would be no way to recover them, so when they wear out, out they go.  

Good luck with your next slipcover.  The only older, well-made furniture that I ever thought about recovering had large amounts of ornamental wood as part of the arms, so the pre-made covers would never have worked. 

Honored Contributor

My goodness you still are sitting on a couch from the 90's??? It's not only old but I'm sure its way past its comfort zone! Treat yourself and go out and buy a new couch! Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

I am still sitting on a couch from the fifties.  It has been reupholstered a number of times, so springs have been retied and cushions renewed.  I doubt a new couch would be anywhere near the same quality.

what would you say if you knew we also have my grandmother's upholstered chair from the thirties, and great-grandmother's from the 1890s? 😀

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

My goodness you still are sitting on a couch from the 90's??? It's not only old but I'm sure its way past its comfort zone! Treat yourself and go out and buy a new couch! Woman Happy

Our sofa looks as new today as it did in 1992 when I bought it. It is a sofa bed, very strong and sturdy and heavy. I'd most likely never be able to replace the quality of the piece, as it was expensive at the time.

It is in our formal living room and doesn't get heavy use, mostly just company sits on it when they come. We don't use our living room much as we have a family room where the TV is and that is the furniture that gets heavy use. I explained in another thread about this, that a new sofa is on the horizon, but much other work needs done before I wanted to commit to that purchase, and this was an attempt at a temporary change. I'm still considering doing away with a sofa altogether, and replacing it with a love seat only.

For what I want (and our income) a new sofa will not be a treat, but a very calculated and expensive purchase. I don't buy furniture (upholstered furniture, in this case) lightly, as I expect to have it for at least 20 years, and buy as top of the line as I can get/afford.

It's taking all I have not to go buy a new sofa right now, I want rid of the upholstery on mine so bad! But I'm trying to stay on task with a process of getting other, much more needed items taken care of first! Not sure I'm gonna make it though!

Honored Contributor

@athenian wrote:

I am still sitting on a couch from the fifties.  It has been reupholstered a number of times, so springs have been retied and cushions renewed.  I doubt a new couch would be anywhere near the same quality.

what would you say if you knew we also have my grandmother's upholstered chair from the thirties, and great-grandmother's from the 1890s? 😀

I'd say you are smart!

I had some old 1940's furniture I purchased from my great aunt when she sold her home, and I used it for years. Considered recovering it, but bought new instead, and still regret that decision to this day.