Honored Contributor

Sharpening Kuhn-Rikon shears?

Yes, I know they are "self-sharpening."

I've had mine for a really long time.  I'm guessing ten years or so.  I got my money's worth, I think.

Lately, however, they are not cutting as well as they used to.

I've read you can cut through a few layers of foil to help sharpen them.

Has anyone successfully sharpened them - at home - without going to a professional?  Or maybe I just ought to buy a new pair.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Re: Sharpening Kuhn-Rikon shears?

DH used mine as a “tool” and it has never been the same since.😠 I’ve tried different things to no avail.😢I loved that gizmo. Guess I will have to get a new one too.

Respected Contributor

My story sounds just like the two of you. Had them many years so if they can’t be sharpened I’m okay with replacing them so nothing lost. It does seem like they deteriorated with heavy, outside use.

Honored Contributor

Someone told me you can sharpen them by cutting sandpaper. I am not recommending it, but wonder is something like an emoryboard would work. Google it!
Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach I tried using a hand held knife sharpener and it did not work. I just recently purchased a new pair of shears plus a backup.

Honored Contributor

Thank you, everyone.

Looks as if I'll be ordering a new set.  They are used every day!  (Not for food but pretty much everything else.)

Honored Contributor

I have many different pairs of these same shears. I also have problems with the ones I use all the time especially in the kitchen. My one pr is pretty dull too.

Wonder how they can tout these shears are self sharpening? Just how does this happen? we use shears often, they get dull. This brand is no different. They certainly do not get sharper with usage. Almost all of you here said you've tried different things to sharpen to no avail.

So again, I wonder what the gentleman says about these that he sells here. Tell us how these self sharpen. disappointed and curious minds need to know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I'm giving Kuhn-Rikon the benefit of the doubt, @PINKdogWOOD 

Mine probably did "self-sharpen" for all those years.  I understand it is the blades moving against each other that does it.  But after such a long time, I suppose not-so-sharp blades moving against each other won't have the same effect.

Respected Contributor

When mine got dull, I contacted Kuhn-Rikon. They sent me a free pair.

Honored Contributor

I tried the "cutting through a few layers of aluminum foil" and I think it helped.  The shears seem to be cutting more easily now.

Just fyi in case anyone wants to try this, too.

@deeva @PINKdogWOOD @GAQShopr53 @lovesrecess @Spacrazy  

@Azcowgirl