Honored Contributor

Re: Share your Fall decorating pics here!

@BornToShop wrote:

Beautiful SL!!  You are the master at vignettes!  I can't wait to see more.  I am almost done with my fall/halloween decor.  I hope I do not need any appliance repairs, etc.  I would have a hard time "splaining" to the repairman my  halloween decor out in August...!  Due to my demanding job, I really don't have a choice.  Bring on some more pics!

@BornToShop Thank you very much! I don't know about the 'master' part though...lol  As for the repairman...who cares! Smiley Very Happy

I'm looking forward to others posting their decorating pics. Please post yours when you have time Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SHOPR wrote:

@Susan Louise@, Did you see the Wheat Bundles thread?  You may want to take a look.  I tried to do the @/Mention to you from that thread, but it wouldn't work.  

@SHOPR I just have been so busy the past couple of days. I have had barely enough time to just post about ordering the Lizden TSV in paprika, chestnut and olive...lol. I didn't even open the home forum since I knew I didn't have time to catch up til today. I'll go check now...TY! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@SHOPR wrote:

@sfnative, I can sense your enthusiasm to get in there and decorate after all this time.  I hope you find all of your decorations to be in good shape and that you have so much fun using them again. 

Hi SHOPR,

You know, I tried to explain this to my husband and he was totally clueless.  Couldn't understand where I was coming from.

When I was in college in the late 60s/early 70s, they were just starting to address the REAL differences between women and men in a number of classes I took.  I recall reacting at the time "of course, of course, of course," to numerous "new" givens that to me were long-held truths.  Perhaps I was ahead of my time.

There are some things that women simply do/need/practice/breathe-to-live and one of those for me has always been to create a warm holiday or seasonal mood in our home.  Having not been able to do this for 15 years has left such a void - I cannot put it into words.  It's part of my psyche, my heart and soul and is not part of the surface of my life.  Unfortuntely, it was not financially possible to replace the objects in storage (long story) and to make things worse, our things were in storage half way across the country.  It wasn't until the last 3 years that things started to fall into place.

I'll be so happy, once our move is complete at the end of August and  can get into our things which have finally been relocated to a new storage unit located about 10 miles down the road.  I feel fortunate, as many who suffered through the dot com downturn and 2 recessions and ended up in minimal pay jobs, as did my husband (from 6 figures), will never ever recover.  We have been blessed to move forward thanks in part to my job during this challenging time.

So, now that I've bored you all to death, I'm so happy to be able to "make a home" again and to find such inspiration here.  Thank you!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

image.jpg

Loving this discussion!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Contributor

lovestoteach...thank you for trying to help me with photos.  I didn't even know I could download apps on my laptop, lol! 

I usually take photos on my phone, but I don't usually use my phone for online, too small for me to read, always use my laptop or tablet.  The only way I know how to get my photos from my phone is to email my photos to my email and then download them. 

However, I do not know how to get photos on here.  Have I explained my tech challenged self, lol!!

Honored Contributor

@mil3  Do your photos on your phone show up in "camera roll" on your iPad?

ADDITIONAL INFO Dropbox is the only app or program that I know of personally. At our school, we learned about this. DROPBOX has tone of storage and the same program coordinates computer, phone and pad. Great customer service. Everything EVERYTHING is backed up and easy to get to.💚💙💛

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@SHOPR wrote:

@sfnative, I can sense your enthusiasm to get in there and decorate after all this time.  I hope you find all of your decorations to be in good shape and that you have so much fun using them again. 

Hi SHOPR,

You know, I tried to explain this to my husband and he was totally clueless.  Couldn't understand where I was coming from.

When I was in college in the late 60s/early 70s, they were just starting to address the REAL differences between women and men in a number of classes I took.  I recall reacting at the time "of course, of course, of course," to numerous "new" givens that to me were long-held truths.  Perhaps I was ahead of my time.

There are some things that women simply do/need/practice/breathe-to-live and one of those for me has always been to create a warm holiday or seasonal mood in our home.  Having not been able to do this for 15 years has left such a void - I cannot put it into words.  It's part of my psyche, my heart and soul and is not part of the surface of my life.  Unfortuntely, it was not financially possible to replace the objects in storage (long story) and to make things worse, our things were in storage half way across the country.  It wasn't until the last 3 years that things started to fall into place.

I'll be so happy, once our move is complete at the end of August and  can get into our things which have finally been relocated to a new storage unit located about 10 miles down the road.  I feel fortunate, as many who suffered through the dot com downturn and 2 recessions and ended up in minimal pay jobs, as did my husband (from 6 figures), will never ever recover.  We have been blessed to move forward thanks in part to my job during this challenging time.

So, now that I've bored you all to death, I'm so happy to be able to "make a home" again and to find such inspiration here.  Thank you!

@sfnative

It just breaks my heart to read about your situation. I have many female friends who don't 'get' my need to make a nice home. They don't understand anyone who loves to clean, cook, decorate, and create a home environment that is special and loved. 

They see their things as just that 'things' and have no emotional attachment to grandmas Bible, or Aunt Lucy's hand made quilt. They care about functionality only (not that that isn't important) but seem to have no real emotion in their homes. 

I hope with your move, you can begin again what you have always loved. I am so excited for you, as it seems you are embarking on a new adventure. Please share with us the steps as you move along. We are all so very interested and happy for you.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

@SHOPR wrote:

Hi SHOPR,

@sfnative

It just breaks my heart to read about your situation. I have many female friends who don't 'get' my need to make a nice home. They don't understand anyone who loves to clean, cook, decorate, and create a home environment that is special and loved. 

They see their things as just that 'things' and have no emotional attachment to grandmas Bible, or Aunt Lucy's hand made quilt. They care about functionality only (not that that isn't important) but seem to have no real emotion in their homes. 

I hope with your move, you can begin again what you have always loved. I am so excited for you, as it seems you are embarking on a new adventure. Please share with us the steps as you move along. We are all so very interested and happy for you.

Hi mominohio,

Thanks for visiting my "piece."  I feel very strongly about "our things" and what they mean to us. 

I had an dear Aunt, one of 4 sisters to my mother, who was blessed in the needle arts and inspired me in that regard.  She made so many beautiful things for me which I will pass onto my daughter.  Each time we move, my husband makes faces about Aunt June's lovely creations and I have to simply tell him that I was lucky enough to have such a kind and caring Aunt who also shared recipes with me cross country, so kindly shut up, OK?  This Aunt also had made for me special diamond and ruby earrings upon the passing of my mother.  Red was my Aunt's favorite color and diamonds to rememeber my mother.  This was a woman who had had 2 boys, so I was fortunate to be the recipient of may lovely gifts.

On the other hand, one year when my daughter was about 4, I made a Halloween purchase for our breakfast room.  We had a 5 globe light fixture with a finial hanging off the bottom.  Off of this finial I hung our new bat!  It was one of those heavy card stock things with a honeycomb body, so that when you opened it up the body was puple and everything else was black with yellow/orange eyes, etc.  It was pretty simple at $1.99.  Then the remainder of the fixture had like spiders hanging off of it, with some spider webbing going up the chain.  After years and years and years of using that bat, which also received some abuse because it hang right over our food, so had many loving pats, we just had to say good-bye to it and my daughter cried(!)  She's now 38 and every Halloween mentions her favorite bat!  Never says anything about the rest of the house, but oh boy, she loved that bat. Just look at what you can do with $1.99!

Edited to add:  We vacationed in Bavaria, Austria and Switzerland in 1988.  While in Vienna, where everything hand carved is extremely expensive, I finally found a piece to purchase:  a putti - a beautiful angel carved and painted in th Baroque style.  She's been "asleep" in storage all these years and I'm finally going to get to see her, hold her and hang her once again.  I am absolutely thrilled!  No, I'm not crazy, just really, really excited, as I have a number of angels and she's my favorite, once again to surface.  Yay!

Honored Contributor

Good day, everyone.

I understand so completely the need to have one's own things, things you cherish and care for and that bring happiness to your soul.

My own mother didn't even get this.  Everything to her was just so much clutter to be dusted.  I think that if you care enough to have it, dusting is the least of your worries!  (Not that I have any strong connections to house-cleaning!)

I am just realizing that I covet those amazing velvet pumpkins now seen everywhere.  I especially like the ones with real pumpkin stems, although the cost for these seems high.  While searching, I came across a website of someone who made her own.  http://www.nestofposies-blog.com/2011/10/how-to-make-plush-velvet-pumpkins/

I looked at Valerie's and the reviews are poor enough to undo any interest I had there.  Even if I were interested, the multicolors are only on waitlist.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

I will enjoy seeing some photos. I returned to work (school) on Friday but all of my decor is pulled out. I am in the process of moving furniture, cleaning and putting out my decor. It brings me a lot of happiness to see my "stuff" on display.

I also have a friend who does not decorate anything. She views it as clutter so I do not buy her anything that can be displayed. We decided to agree to disagree!

I checked out Kirkland's website and they have a lot of cute Harvest decorations this year. I am waiting to pick up new eyeglasses at the mall and Kirkland's is next to the mall. When they call me, I will take a trip over to see what is new.

They had some cute LED pictures with pumpkins!