Valued Contributor

I am planning a dinner for Christmas with Royal Albert-Lady Carlyle china.  I am wondering if it will be okay to include my Lady Carlyle china serving dishes on the table along with the individual place settings.  I can't see myself serving each dish by bringing it in from the kitchen one bowl at a time . I have been doing some reading and I can't find any information as to whether it is acceptable or not. Also, there will be a mix of crystal serving bowls and Lady Carlyle bowls.

Honored Contributor

@Furry wrote:

I am planning a dinner for Christmas with Royal Albert-Lady Carlyle china.  I am wondering if it will be okay to include my Lady Carlyle china serving dishes on the table along with the individual place settings.  I can't see myself serving each dish by bringing it in from the kitchen one bowl at a time . I have been doing some reading and I can't find any information as to whether it is acceptable or not. Also, there will be a mix of crystal serving bowls and Lady Carlyle bowls.

I think that will be fine, I use my "good" china and put the serving dishes on the table at the same time.

Now I am going to google the pattern :-)

Honored Contributor

@Thrive   I have seen that patten before it is so pretty

Valued Contributor

Thank you  !

Spoiler

Respected Contributor

I brought all my good dishes - fine bone china with real gold edging - with me as I love them and were purchased from Harrods so I use them whenever I can. I set out the place settings, salad plates, napkins, wine glasses then right down center of table I have some really pretty cast iron stands that  I can place all the warm or hot serving dishes on -  each end of table I place the two silver sets of serving spoons.  I warm the dinner plates when everyone is seated  hand them out food all already in warmed serving dishes  on table they can help themselves and we are all seated together and I am not running in and out of  kitchen.  Have a great dinner enjoy.

Honored Contributor

I think , unless you have a butler to serve your guests , you have to put the food on the table and pass it. You could put it on a buffet but then everyone would be jumping up & down from the table to get food, which would be annoying.

Respected Contributor

For a semi-formal meal, plating is usually done in the kitchen, with a partner for carrying plates to serve guests.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Valued Contributor

My first thought was Downton Abbey and you need a butler or two. Smiley Embarassed

Since it is a semi formal, I think what you said about dishes on the table is fine.  That way everyone can choose what and how much to eat.  @dulwich has it right about warming right before sitting down.