Respected Contributor

Sears Appliance Warranties and Policies

Just sharing my experience.................We bought a Sears refrigerator June 2015 and by November the ice maker quit working. We have had 3 service calls including the replacement ice maker. In the course of all this we have learned some things about Sears.

A Sears franchise dealer has different warranties and policies than a Sears corporate store. If we had bought from a corp store then we could have returned it and asked for replacement but not a franchise store. 

We will have to have 4 service calls then we can start the process of having a LEMON. If we cannot get this settled in the next 90 days when the 12 months warranty has ended, we must purchase a $350.00 service agreement to have any extended service on a problem that was not fixed during the original 12 months factory warranty.

What a mess!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Sears Appliance Warranties and Policies

And this is why Sears as a company is in serious trouble.  Sears is closing in our town next year - not surprised.  When will companies realize they will have returning customers if they treat them fairly?

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, Sears is the WORST. We will never buy any appliance from them again.

We had a lemon washing machine and they kept sending incompetent repairmen and they dragged their heels for so long that we had to have our attorney craft a threatening letter in order for them to deliver a new washer AND to get out of their warranty service agreement.

Once we had washed our hands of awful Sears, we contacted Whirlpool directly and told them about our trouble with Sears. Whirlpool told us that we were definitely not the first ones to complain to them about Sears' awful appliance warranties and the companies they contract with for repairs. Whirlpool offered us an incredible price for a 5-year warranty, plus a free annual inspection for our washer AND two other, older Whirlpool appliances that we own, just to apologize for the way we were treated by Sears. 

Esteemed Contributor

@granddi, isn't it awful?  Sears used to be my go to but, after building a new home and getting new appliances Sears will be my last choice. I have found a great appliance service person who is reliable and reasonable.  He used to work for Sears and has thirty years experience.  I will look somewhere else for appliances next time.  Bad experience all around including them leaving me without a fridge for two weeks.

I could go on but you get the picture, right?  Good luck!  LM

Honored Contributor

Is it a Kenmore brand?

My husband absolutely refuses to by Kenmore appliances.  It may have changed over the years but he said the only place you could buy a replacement part would be from Sears. You couldn't go buy a "universal" replacement.

I on the other hand have a Kenmore sewing machine and wouldn't trade it for the world.  I learned on a Kenmore almost 50 years ago and my first one was 30 years old when it finally bit the dust and had to be replaced. 

Honored Contributor

I've never purchased household appliances from Sears, but have bought lawn mowers and snow blowers.  I had a snow blower that broke every time I used it.  I'd call and complain and they would send the service man out.  After the fifth time, I decided to go to the store in person to complain.  I didn't have a plan, but wanted to talk with someone.  I didn't know it until the end of the conversation, but I was talking to the store manager.  He wrote a handwritten note on the back of the register tape saying I could exchange my machine for a similar one.  The dept manager wasn't happy with him.  The next season, I brought it back and ended up with a better model.  Haven't had one issue.

It's sad how these companies deal with warranties.

Respected Contributor

you can still get your extended warrenty thru whirlpool.i have a maytag washer dish washer and refrigerator and have service contracts on all of them .they come out and service products well. i would highlly recomend them.i have never had a problem. they allso sell there contracts for kenmore brand.

Honored Contributor

We buy most of our appliances from Sears and usually get the extended warranty. It has really paid off for us, as we have had trouble with several of the products, and the warranty amount was much less than repairs. 

The products weren't Kenmore, but a variety of national brands, and I don't think buying them anywhere else would have gotten any better results with them breaking down.

Honored Contributor

Thank you for sharing this information.  I wouldn't ever be inclined to make a big purchase at Sears, but my brother seems to like patronizing them - something about using his Sears credit card.  Anyway, I'll relay your advice.  They may not be around much longer any way.

Honored Contributor

I dread the day my next appliance has to be replaced.  I can't name a major supplier about whom I haven't heard a horror story about quality and/or customer service or both. 

Sears definitely has serious issues, but there are others who may not be suffering the same overall financial problems Sears has but the stories are at least as bad and I've heard several far, far worse, and will keep me away from them, too.