Esteemed Contributor

Restoring etched marble tiles

The marble tiles in my powder room are etched from years of cleaners being splaced from sink to floor.  I did it myself at first without thinking, then housekeepers have added to the issue over the years.

Can anyone recommend something to restore the etching?  It's a small area so that's some consolation. 

I've watched a video for Lusto Italiano Etch remover and that seems the most promising.  I've tried a spray polisher/cleaner with no luck.

If anyone has any recommendations, please post.

Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Restoring etched marble tiles

The good news with solid stone tiles is that there's an original surface under the damaged parts that can be restored. Small imperfections can be buffed out using a buffing wheel and buffing compounds then polished and look as good as new. The bad news is that the hardness of stone, which makes it a great flooring choice, also makes it harder to buff out flaws. On a very small scale you can use a hobby tool like those made by Dremel to buff out the imperfections. On larger areas you'll likely need a larger option like a biuffer used for cars.

You've got to be a little careful with a porous stone like marble with the buffing compound you use as you don't want one that will stain the stone. Adding a stain to the now polished and honed stone isn't ideal.

Pretty much any solution will involve removing the damaged surface of the stone. If the damage is very fine, then something like the Lusto polishing compound will do the job, but for deeper damage you'll likely need a more powerful option. The good news is there are lots of ways you can get down to a fresh surface.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I'm going to start with the Lustro and go from there.  The damage is surface from spashing (I'm pretty sure that's all it is).  I should have protected it from the start! 

Thanks for your thoughts.  I'm glad it's a smaller area!

Trusted Contributor

There is a compound used on cars that is called "buffing compound" and it's applied the a buffing machine. That might make it easier .