Frequent Contributor

Recycling Glass Candle Jars - What do YOU do with your empty jars?

This may have been discussed at length prior, so please forgive me if I'm readdressing an old discussion regarding.

I do not buy as many candles as I used to, and am very selective these days about which I buy and how many of, since I am so limited in space in my apartment. However, the few which I have gotten, and used to the very bottom, I always keep and use for other things. After they have burned down, I usually clean them well of all residue and find a spot for them (if possible) so that I'm not just throwing away a perfectly good jar into the recycling bin. I have used them as holders for cotton swabs and cotton balls in the bathroom, but how many of those can one have? (well, me anyway...don't need but two or three in that room).

I have a pantry that used to be a dumb-waiter in my apartment. The house I live in used to be separated in living spaces such as the "help" lived on the lower floor and the owners lived on the top-most floor. In any case, the dumb-waiters were converted into small pantries, with shelving and the like. It is a great space, and it reminded me of the old shelves in convenience stores 'back in the day', as we say. Because of that, I began to save all of the used candle jars and slowly added them as containers for my wrapped bouillion cubes, wrapped baking chocolates, dried fruits, dried herbs, packets of seasoning, etc. My pantry now looks like an old fashioned grocery store shelf with it's shiny glass jars that allow me to see what I've stored.

In keeping with these ideas, I was curious to know if anyone wanted to share their ideas on what you do with your empty candle jars? Do you refill them with new wicks and wax from unburned candles (I do this with the Slatkin candles as there always seems to be a 1/2 in of unused wax at the bottom of the three wick 14 oz candles), or do you put them to use elsewhere?