Honored Contributor

Probably off topic, but I just had a blast!

I met a couple of cousins for lunch today. We grew up living near each other, but were never close because they were just enough older than me that we never crossed paths in school, or were in the same "phase" of childhood at the same time. But after enough decades, that isn't a problem anymore. Both their parents passed in the last couple of years, and that brought us much closer than we had ever been.

I have another cousin who has two sons that are having babies this fall. So, after lunch with the girls, I needed to get shower gifts, and had given a lot of thought to what was on their registries. I decided from my experience, that as a first time mom, you get so many things that you either don't use or use for such a short time, it just isn't worth buying much of it. Plus, both babies are firstborns on both sides of each family, so there is already so much stuff being purchased, they will lack nothing necessary.

I had decided to give books even though they didn't have them on their registries. I love books, and children's books are a weakness for me. I fear that books will disappear, with all the technology and gadgets. I want young parents to put books in their kids hands before the ipad.

I went to Ollies, and spent 4 hours pouring over books. I couldn't believe what time it was when I got back in the car, and how long I'd been in there. I haven't been fortunate enough to shop for kid's books for about a decade now. What a blast I had. And what a haul I made.

I had missed it so much, browsing and buying kids books. They are so magical, and the time I spent reading with my son is the about the best time in my life. 

Ollies has such nice books, and such great prices. I was able to get each baby 16 books, for about $50 per gift. All hardbacks, many with the fancy dust jackets, and lots of the hard page ones for when they are very little (and some for when they are older), all very nice, and many by well known authors. Now I just need to find a couple of nice baskets to put them in and a big bow. 

Haven't had that much fun since the first CIJ day early in the month!

Respected Contributor

Re: Probably off topic, but I just had a blast!

It sounds like you had an enjoyable day.  I love bookstores and rarely enter one these days as I have converted almost exclusively to E-books. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Probably off topic, but I just had a blast!

Great idea. My niece also asked everyone to bring a book because she wanted to start a library for her daughter. It was such a joy to see the books displayed on a table during the shower. A story or two was read by different people while everyone listened.