Trusted Contributor

Re: Pictures and reviews on Orgami shelving and Kano boxes

@Mominohio.  He has been gone for some time.  Everyone thinks I am past and doing very well.  I took care of him for his last 15 years and worked to take care of the household.  Then having been a stay at home Mother I missed putting into social security all those years.  After working 20+ years I found out I would only get $50 more than if I had never worked.  I could not live on that so I also got a part time job.  I worked 70+ hours over 7 days to gain lost ground.  That didnt help as much as the SS people said it would.  During those years my way of cleaning for unexpected company was to take things upstairs quick.  When the DIL borrowed decorations I did not have time to put away properly.  My mess upstairs is my fault.  I should have made the time but after taking care of jobs and the downstairs I never seemed to find the time.

I am not complaining really.  It's just my reality.  As couples we all have plans for our future including retirement.  When that time gets cut short and our best friend is not there to see his sons and grandsons get married and the birth of his great grandsons it hits home hard all over again.   I enjoy seeing pictures and hearing the fun things other retired couples get to do and I hope that they know how lucky they are.  Nothing in life is promised.  Nothing should ever be taken for granted.   We are blessed to have loved ones in our lives.  We must make sure every opportunity to tell them so.  We should all try to make beautiful memories to last a "lifetime".  I have many wonderful memories and work every opportunity to make more.  Bless you and your family.  Enjoy and make memories.

Honored Contributor

@pupwhipped wrote:

@Mominohio, looks really good! Such an improvement. You should be very proud.

One question. Do you really like the covers you got for the shelves? Are they a pain to put on? I'm thinking I might order some...don't even know if they are still available. What I really wish I had ordered were the shelf liners. Last time I checked they were long gone on HSN.

Thanks for any thoughts.

pup 

@pupwhipped

I considered the shelf liners, but figured most things I would put on these, they wouldn't be necessary. I think they are great if I was putting smaller things on as those open rack type shelves can be quite the pain for small items. Last I looked the liners were sold out on HSN.

I just put the shelves up and the covers on last night, so I haven't used them much.

For me, they seemed very important, because I was putting things on the one unit that I needed to protect from the dust in our basement. My kitties have their litter boxes down there, and I can't believe the dust that comes with that! 

I also won't be into those shelves very often. If it were a daily thing or even weekly, I'd think twice about it, but the things stored there won't be accessed that often.

Honored Contributor

I love Orgami shelves.  I have two shorter red ones in my laundry room for cleaning supplies, etc.  I also have two in closets - one for shoe boxes and one for purses.  They fit very well at the end of closet against the wall.  I would buy more if I could figure out a place to put them.  These are all several years old and have held up well.  

Trusted Contributor

Instead of the two Origami shelves, I ordered one of the Pop It units. I took it out of the box and put the wheels on. but that is as far as I have gotten. I am going to start with my closet and go from there. If I like it I will get more.

I HATE the shelving in my closet!!!!

I thought of getting the s/2 for my shed, but I am not quite ready for them yet. I also received two sets of the Kano boxes yesterday. I put one together and they are very nice.

I will start with the one shelf and see how it goes.

@Mominohio  Nice job! Are you putting something in between your candles? I wonder if they rub together or melt? The covers are really nice and will keep dust off of your stuff.

I have to store all of that  delicate stuff inside the house or it will bake down here! My poor pretty shed is stuffed now with all of the decorations from the garage. I need to go and organize and PURGE!!

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio, thanks very much for the reply. My hubby is out in the garage right now putting the wheels on our new Origami units. We ordered some last year and they met with his picky approval (Ha!) so I ordered more this year.

Again, thanks for sharing your organization pictures to help get us all motivated.  

Honored Contributor

My shelves came yesterday too.   They're still out by the front door.   I tried to drag the box around the corner into the attached garage but it was so heavy,  I could budge it an inch.   Now wishing I hadn't ordered them.  Once in a great while I wish I had a man around.   Thank goodness I don't have to wrestle them into a basement.   I have a bunch of really big boxes to get rid of too.   I see myself going to the dump. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Somebody posted somewhere here on the boards that The Container Store has shelf liners that can easily be cut to fit the shelving units. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have a sincere question here, no snark intended. But, what makes these shelves any better than the metal ones you can buy anywhere? I just looked on HSN and @ $200 plus 35 for a cover, that to me is pretty pricey for storage. Tell me what I am missing about these, please.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@flickerbulb wrote:

Instead of the two Origami shelves, I ordered one of the Pop It units. I took it out of the box and put the wheels on. but that is as far as I have gotten. I am going to start with my closet and go from there. If I like it I will get more.

I HATE the shelving in my closet!!!!

I thought of getting the s/2 for my shed, but I am not quite ready for them yet. I also received two sets of the Kano boxes yesterday. I put one together and they are very nice.

I will start with the one shelf and see how it goes.

@Mominohio  Nice job! Are you putting something in between your candles? I wonder if they rub together or melt? The covers are really nice and will keep dust off of your stuff.

I have to store all of that  delicate stuff inside the house or it will bake down here! My poor pretty shed is stuffed now with all of the decorations from the garage. I need to go and organize and PURGE!!

Hi @flickerbulb!

Glad someone else likes the Kano boxes. I hope Q is following these threads and sees how much we like them (I think I'll post over on Suggestion Box about it) and brings them back!

I considered just getting the Pop It shelves here because I never have problems with customer service if something is wrong, but people who had them thought they weren't as strong as the Origami (even though it seems the same company is making them both!). 

About the candles...when I was loading them, I thought exactly what you said, about colors bleeding on each other, but I noticed that even with 20 of them in there, they could be positioned so that none of them came into contact with each other. Right now I have not put anything between them, as part of my plan was to make it super simple to look in the window and see what color I wanted and grab it without a bunch of effort. I do intend to monitor the situation and make sure I don't have a problem with color 'sharing' though, so I guess great minds do think alike!!! LOL

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

My shelves came yesterday too.   They're still out by the front door.   I tried to drag the box around the corner into the attached garage but it was so heavy,  I could budge it an inch.   Now wishing I hadn't ordered them.  Once in a great while I wish I had a man around.   Thank goodness I don't have to wrestle them into a basement.   I have a bunch of really big boxes to get rid of too.   I see myself going to the dump. 

@Kachina624

Don't know if this will work for you or not, but I unpacked mine right outside on the porch. Once out of the box, and only having to deal with one at a time, they aren't so hard to handle. Don't know if you could just attach the wheels outside as well, and roll them into the garage. 

I think once you get them up you'll be glad you got them. I was a bit skeptical, and they definitely aren't industrial strength, but I really do like mine.