Honored Contributor

Re: Pictures and reviews on Orgami shelving and Kano boxes

This is only a small corner of my disaster zone basement, but it is a start! I have several areas like this with pretty good organization, but others need some help.

The Origami shelves are nice, they are the first shelving units I have with wheels, which I love. They  definitely aren't industrial strength, and I wouldn't load them down with super heavy things, but they do serve a purpose. They are nice for areas with low ceilings like a basement, as they aren't super tall, and because of that, you can get some taller things on the top shelf (and it is easy enough to reach that top shelf as well).

This process can get very expensive. I could have one thousand dollars in doing everything I wanted to do with this. I'll just keep plugging away a little at a time each year at this time, and spread out the expense.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio   Great Job!I love, love, love origami shelving. I've purchased six in the past for two different areas in our home and would buy more if I knew where to use them.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

Origami shelving is guaranteed up to a year by the company- they'll replace your defective item! They won't be able to get you a special 'hsn only' color though- I jsut had them replace a shoe organizer. 

And if it's within 30 days of reciept (or currently longer, with the holiday  return timeframe)- hsn will exchange/return the item. Retun shipping on them since it's defective!

Even if it's just  for your basement! Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio. My decorating supplies got way out of hand the last several years because the family had 2 weddings (1 in a state park and 1 in a converted old barn set up for large parties) and then a baby shower.  All were in the fall.  I purchased new florals for each (did not want to reuse for the weddings) and of course I had to have Luminar candles for all.  Fall and it's colors are my favorite time for decorating.

In time I think I will invest in the covers.  It will look neater and I can label each cover.  I am a widow so I am using a bedroom to organize and store.  Hopefully it will help unclutter the rest of the house as I try to downsize my possessions.  Until I retired and started this project I had no idea how much had been acquired by my family and myself.  The boys have been shocked that I still had things belonging to them.  They wanted but never took to their house.  Now when I find I set aside and give a short time to take or donate.   I have never sorted my husband's extra things outside in the garage and sheds since he past.  This summer I hope I can handle doing it by myself.  So many memories.

Thanks for your pictures.  I will use them as a reminder of what my project can look like when done.  I sometimes need a kick in the behind to keep motivated when working on extended projects.

Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

My Origami shelves finally arrived yesterday from HSN, along with my fourth order of the Kano storage boxes from here.

I've already gone on and on about the Kano boxes. Love them, and the go well on the shelves. 

The shelves arrived dented/bent, but perfectly functional. I put them in the basement, and while not happy about the damage, it has no effect on the use. If I had planned on using them in a more visible space, I'd be sending them back. 

I also ordered the covers for the racks, with a zip front. I really like they way is should keep dust off of the contents. 

The next few posts will be pictures showing what I've done.

@Mominohio - I love what you have done.  I may order the Kano boxes for my luminaras.  A few years ago I ordered an Origami bookshelf and it arrived dented (didn't affect the functionality).  I called HSN and I thnk they gave me a merchandise credit of $10, which I think I forgot to use!

Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio.  In the end the cost of the shelves does add up but when I leave the house they can go with me.  The family can also have some as they will share the contents.  I will stay in my house as long as I can take care of it myself.  Most summers my daily exercise is the riding mower as my yard is 3 acres.  I find it very relaxing and the motion, in 30 minute doses, helps my body pain.  I carefully watch where I mow and collect turkey and pheasant feathers when found.  They work great especially in fall decorations.   Looking carefully at the yard tells me who shares my property.  Deer graze and sleep.  Turkey and skunks scratch and dig. My "pride" of feral cats that I have caught and had neutered sit in the trees and on the rooftops to watch me now.   Etc.  Cats in high places on occasion slows the cars flying by.  That's a good thing because there is a curve up ahead.  

I dread the day I have to lose my privacy and move to assisted living.  Around here they are in the city and villages so I would not have easy access to nature on my own.  This older youngster is to independent and will stay that way as long as possible.

Honored Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

Origami shelving is guaranteed up to a year by the company- they'll replace your defective item! They won't be able to get you a special 'hsn only' color though- I jsut had them replace a shoe organizer. 

And if it's within 30 days of reciept (or currently longer, with the holiday  return timeframe)- hsn will exchange/return the item. Retun shipping on them since it's defective!

Even if it's just  for your basement! Woman Happy

I'm not really happy with HSN. This was my first purchase from them, and at the time I ordered, they didn't mention it was on back order. Then I get an email saying it would be another two weeks beyond the original backorder date, before available. Then they did ship out sooner, which was nice, but came with damage.

I'm not sure I will ever purchase from them again. I was warned that they aren't a very good company as far as overselling and then misrepresenting when product will be available, but I didn't listen! LOL

There is no way I'd bother sending them back, though, just packing them back up would be awful! The dents didn't affect the structural integrity and with the covers on, and them being in the basement, it just won't matter in the long run. Just for the price, it would be nice to get things delivered in good condition. Does make me think twice about ordering more, though. 

Honored Contributor

@Gram W wrote:

@Mominohio. My decorating supplies got way out of hand the last several years because the family had 2 weddings (1 in a state park and 1 in a converted old barn set up for large parties) and then a baby shower.  All were in the fall.  I purchased new florals for each (did not want to reuse for the weddings) and of course I had to have Luminar candles for all.  Fall and it's colors are my favorite time for decorating.

In time I think I will invest in the covers.  It will look neater and I can label each cover.  I am a widow so I am using a bedroom to organize and store.  Hopefully it will help unclutter the rest of the house as I try to downsize my possessions.  Until I retired and started this project I had no idea how much had been acquired by my family and myself.  The boys have been shocked that I still had things belonging to them.  They wanted but never took to their house.  Now when I find I set aside and give a short time to take or donate.   I have never sorted my husband's extra things outside in the garage and sheds since he past.  This summer I hope I can handle doing it by myself.  So many memories.

Thanks for your pictures.  I will use them as a reminder of what my project can look like when done.  I sometimes need a kick in the behind to keep motivated when working on extended projects.

@Gram W

It is amazing when you live somewhere for a number of years, just how things do accumulate! I do a purge of every drawer, closet, cupboard every year, but I'm beginning to understand that for every box/bag donated or thrown in the trash, I must have been taking two to the basement! LOL

My son is 20 and we were expecting him to move out sometime this spring/summer, and it may be on hold for now. I'm both sad about his leaving, but disappointed as well that he won't be getting all his 'stuff' out of the house. 

See I have myself convinced that simply ridding my house of all his stuff, will solve all my problems. (Quite frankly, if we add to it all his toys, books and stuffed animals from his childhood, it would leave a practically empty house, but I know (hope) we are many more years from him needing his toys!).

I'm sorry for the loss of your husband, and I can imagine that going through his things aren't something you are looking forward to doing. I hope you can get to it this summer as well, if you are ready to do so. And  doing it alone might make it a little easier. You can take the time to have your emotions and memories, without anyone else pushing you to get it done in a particular time frame or having to observe your emotions. I just think that sometimes, people expect us to get over certain things and losses sooner than we do, or they don't want to deal with our 'relapses' in emotions when we have these things to do. I hope the process is as easy as it can be for you, when you start.

Honored Contributor

@DecorDiva wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

My Origami shelves finally arrived yesterday from HSN, along with my fourth order of the Kano storage boxes from here.

I've already gone on and on about the Kano boxes. Love them, and the go well on the shelves. 

The shelves arrived dented/bent, but perfectly functional. I put them in the basement, and while not happy about the damage, it has no effect on the use. If I had planned on using them in a more visible space, I'd be sending them back. 

I also ordered the covers for the racks, with a zip front. I really like they way is should keep dust off of the contents. 

The next few posts will be pictures showing what I've done.

@Mominohio - I love what you have done.  I may order the Kano boxes for my luminaras.  A few years ago I ordered an Origami bookshelf and it arrived dented (didn't affect the functionality).  I called HSN and I thnk they gave me a merchandise credit of $10, which I think I forgot to use!

@DecorDiva

I couldn't believe how many full size flameless candles fit in the large box. Like 20 of them. I'm really fussy about how I store them, because of the wicks and this seemed like the best idea for me. I would rather just sit them on shelves (easier to see and access), but this is a double dust protection, which I think is important for the inner workings (not to get a lot of dust down in there). The window and zippers make it easy enough to access them fairly quickly and easily.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio, looks really good! Such an improvement. You should be very proud.

One question. Do you really like the covers you got for the shelves? Are they a pain to put on? I'm thinking I might order some...don't even know if they are still available. What I really wish I had ordered were the shelf liners. Last time I checked they were long gone on HSN.

Thanks for any thoughts.

pup