Esteemed Contributor

image.jpegWimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

My parents went to the designer at the builders a week ago. They picked out everything in a long five hour meeting. Thought I would share some pictures. The one picture is of the exterior. The siding and stone. The gabels will be that red color. The front door will be painted the same red. The other picture is of the master bath. The shower time, flooring and sink vanity. The other one is the granite for the kitchfn, flooring throughout except bedrooms, and the island. I believe it's the granite on the left they picked. The flooring is the one with the gray hues on top. They still may change the granite because they need to go and see the full slab to make sure. Plus they may like something better. My bathroom will have the same time as the master bath.

Sent from my iPhone

parents went to the designer at the builders a week ago. They picked out everything in a long five hour meeting. Thought I would share some pictures. The one picture is of the exterior. The siding and stone. The gabels will be that red color. The front door will be painted the same red. The other picture is of the master bath. The shower time, flooring and sink vanity. The other one is the granite for the kitchfn, flooring throughout except bedrooms, and the island. I believe it's the granite on the left they picked. The flooring is the one with the gray hues on top. They still may change the granite because they need to go and see the full slab to make sure. Plus they may like something better. My bathroom will have the same time as the master bath.

Sent from my iPhone

Respected Contributor

Those are very nice selections and it will be a beautiful house!! I'm sure you are getting excited.

As far as something different for counters maybe look at Quartz. The patterns will be more consistent if that is their concern. They are also microbial and don't require maintenance. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Melania wrote:

Those are very nice selections and it will be a beautiful house!! I'm sure you are getting excited.

As far as something different for counters maybe look at Quartz. The patterns will be more consistent if that is their concern. They are also microbial and don't require maintenance. 

I was actually suprised at the granite she picked. She had been saying she didn't want anything super busy. She has a picture that she initially liked and will take it to the granite yard. She did like Quartz also. We will see if she changes her mind. The blueprints aren't signed yet so they can make changes. Probably up until ground is broken. She still is stuck on the granite she saw on Pinterest. So until she sees the full slab of this one and the one that is less busy she won't know for sure.

Honored Contributor

Wow!  Your mom has great taste. I'm sure she'll love it!

Honored Contributor

Just keep in mind, in my neck of the woods anyway, quartz is a LOT more expensive than granite. We went through the building process 2 years ago and I can give some advice. FYI I opted for granite because I wanted a natural product. Quartz is manufactured, and that was a complete turn off for me. Others may not care but having natural stone in my home was a big thing. And please don't be persuaded by the remarks that quartz is easier to maintain than granite. It isn't. I reseal my granite once a year, and that process includes just wiping on a spray, something I'm hoping people do anyway when they clean their countertops! No big deal. The color choices shown are very pretty and should produce a lovely home! 

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Just keep in mind, in my neck of the woods anyway, quartz is a LOT more expensive than granite. We went through the building process 2 years ago and I can give some advice. FYI I opted for granite because I wanted a natural product. Quartz is manufactured, and that was a complete turn off for me. Others may not care but having natural stone in my home was a big thing. And please don't be persuaded by the remarks that quartz is easier to maintain than granite. It isn't. I reseal my granite once a year, and that process includes just wiping on a spray, something I'm hoping people do anyway when they clean their countertops! No big deal. The color choices shown are very pretty and should produce a lovely home! 

We recently put in a new kitchen and I know what I'm talking about too. Please don't dare say that quartz is worse when you've never had it. I did my homework. It's a matter of preference and what one what's to spend.

Resealing is very high maintenance to me. Why should anyone have to do that and then not be sure it's right?

You never have to reseal quartz and it microbial.

Not only that it does not have the Radon...which is very common with granite. To me that is very important. Sealing it does not necessarily seal it out either.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Picked out house design

[ Edited ]

The builder told us that the granite will be sealed at the granite place before installing it. She then said it wouldn't  need sealed for another 10 years or so. My mom liked Quartz at first because she liked how it was less busy. But she fell in love with this granite. They will probably go out to the granite place within the next week just to see the full slab. Reselling is just a spray you put on the granite. It really is not a big deal.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Are you sure you're not confusing quartz with quartzite?  Here, the latter is very expensive (compared to granite), but the former is about the same or less than granite.

Not challenging, just asking.

Respected Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

Are you sure you're not confusing quartz with quartzite?  Here, the latter is very expensive (compared to granite), but the former is about the same or less than granite.

Not challenging, just asking.

I never heard of quartzite so I looked it up.  It is a natural stone and absolutely beautiful.

From the article I read on countertopguide dot com. It must be sealed before use and re-sealed one or two times per year. Without a proper seal, stains can penetrate into the stone. This is a weakness shared by all natural stone including granite and marble. When properly sealed, quartzite cleanup is easy.

Esteemed Contributor

@ccassaday

The choices for your new home are lovely.

Having built my own dream home from the ground up, I know how exciting/frustrating it can be.  There are so many choices to be made. 

Everyone will offer their advice and opinionsCat LOL

All I will say is savor the experience, even if it is maddening.  Someday, you will look back and it will all seem wonderful.

I know that is how I feel.