Esteemed Contributor

Re: Packing up a cluttered house....

My first thought was Dear God who gets to dust all of this. 

Honored Contributor

Not long but we downsized from our big house years ago and we are determined not to stuff this condo with stuff.  We're very organized.  When we sold or fomer condo and bought this one, which is bigger than the other one.  We packed and moved in just one weekend.  I was never a pack rat but it did take us about a month to sort/discard/donate/pack the 9 room house we raised our family in.  

Esteemed Contributor

I did this 3 years ago. My goodness the stuff we accumulated. We had two dumpsters full just from the attic. No one in family wanted anything. So we had a huge yard sale and made over a thousand dollars. We let everything go real cheap cause people will not pay a lot. It took me over 4 months of sorting what was for sale and what to keep and pack. Now in our smaller place nothing comes in unless something goes out. I am not leaving a mess like that to anyone. We have bare minimum pictures on the wall that my SIL the designer said to keep. I am so glad I let all that go. 

Trusted Contributor

Doing this very thing now with my parents house.

I'm exhausted.

After MANY hours have gone through everything.

Now it's estate sale time.

Respected Contributor

We have begun to clean out knowing that we will be moving in about a year. I began months ago. Four truckloads went. Told DH it was time for him to start. Went down cellar and started myself. He soon came down. His favorite saying is you never know when we may need it. He is thankfully better now.

Esteemed Contributor

Not now -- but the home we lived in for 24 years is another story. Husband and I had creative differences when we moved two years ago. I spent years scaling down, letting go and getting ready for the move. Husband was a bit of a junker and staled and put off as long as he could. Unpleasant. Not going to re-live that scene. Two words: Night mare  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

OP----I have to pack up my whole house to move while major recon is happening. Had a huge tree fall on my upstairs and destroy the whole roof. there are  6 rooms on that floor and then the whole downstairs needs to go  as there is some damage too. It will be about 2 months for the recon. We have lived in my house for 33 years this Oct, so there is alot of stuff. all this won't start til June prob, due to weather conditions but as soon as we get a timeline, I am getting my ducks in a row and will start packing and purging. I shudder at how much work moving is!!!!!

Honored Contributor

We are in the middle of "unpacking" right now.  We've been in flux for about 2 years.  Packing was no problem (our 5th house during our marriage) and we were going from 3500 sq ft to around 2000 (if we could find it).  My problem was that I didn't want to sell off my favorite things and then realize the house we bought could accommodate a lot of it.  Of course, we donated a lot of stuff but the rest we stored.  And boy am I glad we did it this way because we've been able to utilize most of what we owned.  Next will be the garage/estate sale and it's gearing up to be a good one.  Our house is in town (we were in the country) and 2020 square feet.   And yes, I went through Realtor.com daily and some of the photos of the inside of homes can be scary.....  btw, we found this house on Realtor.com and I saw it only an hour after it was listed, called our Real Estate lady, she dropped everything and showed us the house and we made an offer and had the paperwork in the works a couple hours after that!!!   Realy happy with the house... but we won't be moving again.  Woman LOL        

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

@Q4u   The house I was writing about is 2100 sq. ft. It also had a screened back room that would have to be done over.  I really would like to see it empty or at pared way done.

I should really stop looking online.  There are 3 houses  I really liked and would only change 2 light fixtures in one of them.  Of course the one I loved was 6000 sq. ft., 5 bedrooms, upteen bathrooms, wrap around porch, pool, separate guest house. 15 acres.  All for a mere  $715,000.00.  No one ever said I was a cheap date.  lol

Esteemed Contributor

When shopping for my previous house 12 years ago I saw two homes that were in my price range that made me nervous just to look at them. SO much decorative stuff and hobby items! I was unsure that either house could be packed up in 60 days. Passed on both and bought the one that was already vacated.

I was actively prepping my house for sale at this time last year. SO happy that effort is successfully behind me. Tons of work, tight time line and the process required tons of time, money, organizing and stress! Relieved to have downsized and just about finished with the work that was needed in my new home. Hoping for an enjoyable summer!