Valued Contributor

Re: PEASE HELP~How to clean christening gowns~PLEASE READ!

I have been an antuque dealer for over 25 years, and I completely agree with drizzela's tecnique.  It's what I always do for vintage fabrics, even old doll clothes.  They turn out perfectly.  It takes on spots, stains, etc.

Dry cleaners can tend to turn old white fabrics yellow, especially silk, chiffon, satin, etc.

If you have a steamer, like Joy Mongano's, use it after they dry.

NO washing machine or dryer.

Contributor

If they are cotton which a lot of christening gowns are made of, soak in weak solution of Biz or Dreft and warm water. Rinse well. Lightly squeeze excess water out; do not wring. Lay out on a bath towel and roll up towel and gown together to remove more water. lay flat to dry. You may not be able to get all the yellow stains out or some of them may return, but that's okay! I've made a lot of christening gowns and I think what you are doing is wonderful.

Respected Contributor

You can find a lot of info. by doing an online search.

One I found.....

Whitening a Yellowed Baptism Ensemble | Fairy Child Heirlooms

from a thankful reader....

I came across your site while searching for

information on cleaning christening gowns. My

daughter wanted her baby to wear the dress that she

had worn for her baptism 31 years ago. The dress was

satin and VERY yellowed and I did not think that it

could be safely cleaned.

I was hesitant about following your instructions, but I

finally put everything in a tub with equal parts

Oxi Clean & Dawn to soak. 

Everything came out as white as snow! Thank you so

very much! I’m enclosing before & after pictures. Sue

before:

after:

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Call your local bridal shop and ask who they recommend to clean and restore bridal gowns. I have an excellent one in my North Texas-DFW area and they specialize in special gowns, antique fabrics, etc. 

Do not take your precious little gowns to just any dry cleaner. Trust me. 

I see you were able to do it yourself! Great job! 

Valued Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

We have taken items to the dry cleanersand they will not touch them. One was a suede coat that had gravy spilled on it the first time it was worn. Couldn't find anyone to work on it. And we tried many dry cleaners.

What I have done with several delicate items was to gently soak the item in QxyClean. Just mix a batch of OxyClean in the sink and soak the item for an hour or so, And then rinse the item by hand, I wouldn't run it through the washer even on delicate cycle. Just lightly squeeze the item by hand and then lay flat to dry.

Older fabrics can be a better quality than what you would find today. Just remeber to be gentle.

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing. I use oxy clean on so much and find it an awesome product. The gown and little boys "suit" are made so well. Not like gowns we've found in stores, they are almost all made in China, fabric is flimsy and no embroidery or other details. Mine from my son & daughter are both cotton & poly blends. My sons has some satin trim and my daughters has some ribbons   

I want to try it this weekend or next week. 

To some people it may not seem important. But to us, it's the heirloom factor and the quality. 

How lovely it will be for the baby to be in its mothers or godfathers baptismal outfit. And years later to know so. I also have a hand knitted blanket that my grandmother made for my mother. Then it was used 20 yrs later for my oldest sibling. We have all been baptized in that blanket. All my nieces and nephews & my two as well. So this little angel will be the fourth generation baptized in that blanket! Ironically it has no stains! It's has just become dull. So, I will try the same hand washing technique. THANK YOU ALL for your suggestions and ideas. I truly appreciate it. Wish me luck!