Honored Contributor

Our house is being painted this week

[ Edited ]

I've never before owned a house that had to be painted  on the outside but now I do. Our house is stucco.Today they are power washing it , then tomorrow they are supposed to come and repair any cracks in the stucco and I assume then Monday they will actually start painting. We had to take down all the outside decor and furniture and bring them inside. Unfortunately , my garage is full of boxes for the food drive next month so there is no room out there for furniture and our patio furniture is in the living room. My DH just parked his tomato plant in a planter and the grill in the middle of the back yard. I am curious what they do about the house numbers which are just glued to the front of the house on the stucco. 

All in all this is a big curiosity to us! 

Our house was originally a light yellow, has faded terribly from the sun and is kinda ivory now. The HOA board has picked the colors so we won't know until the paint goes up what color it will be. The members of the HOA are keeping their choices a well guarded secret. A new color wouldn't bother me at all as long as it's tasteful. Now the colors are  either beige or oyster white or the yellow. Since the yellow has not held up well in the sun they may have chosen to not redo that color.Beige and yellow have oyster white trim and the oyster white has beige trim.

The homes here get repainted every 7 years, so it would be nice if they would paint a more on trend color like a grey. I know another plan nearby is painting a light grey with dark grey trim and it is very pretty. A friend of ours just built a new house and painted it a lovely light muted seafoam green with ivory trim and it is gorgeous.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Our house is being painted this week

Wouldn't want my house color to be a surprise!  Why don't they let you pick a color from the ones they offer.  I would think that if you pay HOA fees, the choice would be yours.  Just doesn't make sense to me that you have to accept a color they choose!  Hope you like the outcome...

Honored Contributor

Well, they don't and that is that. We did not get to chose the paint color when it was built either. Besides - this is a villa - what if the parties on either side couldn't agree? That could be a huge issue.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Well, they don't and that is that. We did not get to chose the paint color when it was built either. Besides - this is a villa - what if the parties on either side couldn't agree? That could be a huge issue.

Sounds like the colors are very neutral.  Guess a fresh new coat of paint will be good-no matter what they choose...

Honored Contributor

I would never buy some place where they say what color my house has to be. I THINK NOT.

HOA's have there good points & there bad points. I don't need anyone telling me when to paint, mow, do this, don't do that. 

Respected Contributor

I would not want my HOA deciding my paint color.  I'd at least want some "pre-approved" colors to choose from.  I'm living in my second house, and second being in an HOA.  You would just go to the HOA with the color paint you picked and get their approval.  Usually neutral colors.  And that was in California, just about all homes were stucco.  But it was a pretty easy process.  Now living in Georgia and it's pretty much the same thing. 

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I would never buy some place where they say what color my house has to be. I THINK NOT.

HOA's have there good points & there bad points. I don't need anyone telling me when to paint, mow, do this, don't do that. 

Well then I suppose you should always live in a single family home in a non HOA area then. We used to have a horrid HOA - esp the nazi president - but we got them impeached and have a much improved one now. My DH - who has a rather controlling personalitity still has issues dealing with them, but I am fine. They pay for the painting - they chose the colors - all fine with me.

Respected Contributor

If I live in a villa paying HOA fees and it's being painted for free, so be it, let them paint it.   I could care less what the color will be.   It's not like someone chose purple or bright fuchsia.

I wouldn't worrry about the house number either, they'll just mask them off and it's not really your problem, the only thing you should worry about is if there are any obstructions that when the people come they can't complete something and it sounds like you have that all covered.

Free is good.

Honored Contributor

I'm with you - free is always good. 3 members of the 5 man HOA board are being painted in our group & I'm confident we are getting nice color choices. Some people are just unable to let go of controlling every tiny little thing, and for them it would be a nightmare to allow someone else to tell them what color their house will be.

Esteemed Contributor

Would not want my house color to be a surprise let alone yellow. If someone painted their house (no HOA where I live) yellow I think the neighborhood would come after you. Houses in Arizona are either light gray, off white, tan or beige. There are of course oddballs who think a purple house is cool (there's one near Scottsdale along with someone who painted his house black) but the neighborhood doesn't think so.