Honored Contributor

Opinions please on this situation (friends & new home decor)

[ Edited ]

a very good friend of mine built a beautiful new home moved in and decorated fully the month of November. She knew she wanted a light, airy & beach theme. During the building process we did ALOT of shopping, deciding what she could use from her previous home &  purchased new furniture to enhance her home.  Everything is beautiful, well appointed & beach theme.

our good friend relocated to same community 2 blocks away and had NOTHING as this is 2nd home (winter). She came and stayed with her for awhile waiting for her

closing, of course, shopped with her too!

Fast forward, this friend stated "I really don't want anyone to stop by or come in my home til it's completely furnished". No problem....

OMG, imagine our surprise she decorated her home almost exactly (furniture, drapes, theme) as my friend!

My friend is so angry - of course, she told her "thanks for the compliment that I have good taste but I don't want to walk into your home and see mine".  The other friend said "it's ridiculous your so upset about it". They had words and believe it or not, after this she went out & bought the exact kitchen & patio furniture.

I think you can figure out the rest of the story...friendship over😥

Of course, I'm friends with both of them and I'm just wondering "would you be upset or flattered".

I know I would be annoyed if she was my "neighbor"  but it's the "principle" that she doesn't seem to get my other friend being upset over this & she feels she should be flattered! Ugh....🤔

Forgot to add in my original post: I wouldn't really care personally because I think it's nice of her to think I had good taste, and frankly, I was the first one to have some of these pieces in my own home! 

i hope I explained this so you could understand & give me your opinion -- I'm feeling a little stressed over it as we've been friends for 25+ years (really puts me in middle)! Thank goodness I live 2 hours away...lol 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Opinions please on this situation (friends & new home decor)

I think it's silly to be upset. So she liked her decor so much she got the same thing. What's the big deal. Ruining a long friendship over this is silly.
Honored Contributor

Stay "neutral"...........(don't get involved)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi

im so trying🙃😉

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Desertdi

im so trying🙃😉

@homedecor1     I know it's difficult............I had a friend who used to "one-up" me all the time.    House, car, jewelry...........she always had to have a bigger and more expensive version...........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I'd be upset. My SIL used to copy everything I did and then act 

Iike she had "NO idea."  It got old fast. The only satisfaction I got was that after the divorce, my BIL confirmed that she DID copy me!  Ha!

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi

I hear ya!!!!

Sometimes I wonder & geezzzzz this week I've had more than I could ever imagine ... I'm glad I stayed "quiet" for once!!! Lol

😏

Trusted Contributor

I remember when I was in junior high my friend and I used to do a lot of embroidery. One time I copied her and emboidered the same hockey mascot because I thought it was really cute. She was NOT HAPPY. So I can understand the copied woman's feelings.

I am wondering though: you said the theme is airy and beachy.

Is this a beach area? If so, then my observation is that home decor tends to follow that type of theme in beach areas. Same in mountain cabins - they tend to be decorated in a woodsy / homey way.

Honored Contributor

@sandraskates

yes and another thing is almost every furniture store sells some slight variation -- most stores here carry coastal / beach theme! 

This is is what I selected for my home only with different tables, lamps, but, I did love the accent pieces (and I found them at other stores 2/3 of the cost!)

Living room (top pic), family room (bottom pic)

IMG_6112.JPG

IMG_5961.JPG

IMG_6114.JPG

Honored Contributor

I'd be bewildered for sure but not so upset I'd let it ruin the friendship.