Respected Contributor

Re: Opinions on this wreath please

@stevieb
Thank you!! I don't want a cluttered corner as I don't need/want more stuff, but it looks bare and I want to make it look cozy. Smiley Happy

By the way, I think it's kind of funny you thought the chairs were pink. In my initial post a few weeks ago, I had before and after pics of the chairs. The chairs were definitely pink before.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@TheMemphisVette wrote:

the fabric and chair are lovely,  cozy and inviting.

i would move the pictures to the left wall.  one on top of other.  on the right wall, a couple of shelf ledges and perhaps a mirror above.  the ledges would be at arms reach and could hold a few books.

both walls decor would be equal heights at top.

also agree, a floor lamp would be perfect.  

ledgeshelf.jpgfloorlamp.jpg

Thank you for the great ideas and the pics!  Very helpful.  I'm anxious to try a few things tomorrow (move the pics and put the floor lamp on the right of the chair for starters) and then see what else I can add.  I may get the wreath for now just because there is someplace else I can put it after I find something else (and also because I'm loving the purple hydrangea).  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

As a picture framer for 43 years, I often help clients arrange their art and objects.  Soooo.... here is my 2 cents!

I think your pictures are too small to hang one on each wall, as they will look even smaller that way.

Hung staggered as they are, they repeat the shape of the chair arm & back, and the eye is drawn to the negative space that is between the chair profile and the pictures.

I'd suggest hanging them one above the other on the wall where they currently are, and then add a third item to that wall in a shape that isn't square or rectangular. 

An oval item like a clock hung so that the 9-3 line is halfway up the space between the frames.  Hang the pictures to the right (the one there might be good where it is as the top one) and the "clock" to the left of the pictures. 

I'd look for a fairly long oval shape so it will sit at least from the center of the top picture to the center of the bottom picture.  Don't hang the pictures too far apart from each other.  When pictures are too far apart, the eye sees the space between.

Could you consider a lamp /table combo to the left of the chair?  On the wall above the chair could be a shelf with tall candles or short candles on holders plus a third item.  Place the taller candles together to the right and the extra item to the left.

If a table lamp won't work, try a wall hung lamp with a brass or nickle cord cover and perhaps an extension arm to pull the lamp out over your right shoulder as you sit in the chair.  Then a wall shelf hung at about the height of the top of the lamp shade.

Honored Contributor

Ask the dog, it's his spot.

Respected Contributor

@Libbylady wrote:

As a picture framer for 43 years, I often help clients arrange their art and objects.  Soooo.... here is my 2 cents!

I think your pictures are too small to hang one on each wall, as they will look even smaller that way.

Hung staggered as they are, they repeat the shape of the chair arm & back, and the eye is drawn to the negative space that is between the chair profile and the pictures.

I'd suggest hanging them one above the other on the wall where they currently are, and then add a third item to that wall in a shape that isn't square or rectangular. 

An oval item like a clock hung so that the 9-3 line is halfway up the space between the frames.  Hang the pictures to the right (the one there might be good where it is as the top one) and the "clock" to the left of the pictures. 

I'd look for a fairly long oval shape so it will sit at least from the center of the top picture to the center of the bottom picture.  Don't hang the pictures too far apart from each other.  When pictures are too far apart, the eye sees the space between.

Could you consider a lamp /table combo to the left of the chair?  On the wall above the chair could be a shelf with tall candles or short candles on holders plus a third item.  Place the taller candles together to the right and the extra item to the left.

If a table lamp won't work, try a wall hung lamp with a brass or nickle cord cover and perhaps an extension arm to pull the lamp out over your right shoulder as you sit in the chair.  Then a wall shelf hung at about the height of the top of the lamp shade.

Wow!   Thanks so much for your ideas!!   I agree the pics are too small to have one on each wall.  The pics are DH's and I like them, so definitely want to use them there, apparently they just need to be rearranged a bit.  I will consider all your other ideas too.  I need to see how the floor lamp I have works and go from there.  Thank you!

Respected Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Ask the dog, it's his spot.

Hahaha.  I'm sure he doesn't care what's there as long as he has a comfy place to sleep and an unlimited supply of treats.  

Honored Contributor

I think sometimes a photo is taken at angles that don't show what is 'real' so while it appears that the pictures are a bit too high on the wall, may or may not be true. It maybe only looks that way, from that picture. 

I'd vote for a floor lamp in this area, because it is very small. It needs lighting to be usable as a reading chair. 

And I like the idea of a clock on one wall. But I think until you figure out the lighting (floor lamp or small table and lamp), it would be fruitless to put more holes in the walls, just to have to move things all over again later. I'd leave it alone and think, and make my next move my 'final' choice with the lighting included.

I don't care for the wreath there at all. And that is just a personal thing because I had a lot of florals on my walls for years, and have been weeding them out over the last couple. With that particular VPH wreath, I can't see anything but the white working. I think it woult pick up your trim color and look nice, color wise.

I really love the color of your walls. I tend to avoid color on walls because I never get it right. But you have done a great job choosing the color. And I pick up on the frames in these pictures mirroring the dark floor, which I like.

If this were my room, my first thing to try would be a Tiffany style floor lamp with just the right colors and base. I find them to be works of art on their own with lighting an extra bonus. There are so many colors and styles, and you would get your "art" and lighting all wrapped up in one piece, therefore less clutter. I have one in shades of green that sits on my desk, that would be perfect in your room with your walls and chair. Not every Tiffany lamp has dragonflies or tons of colors. Some are very muted and just a couple of colors. 

By the way, I love your posts, and pictures. You always give us a fun time to offer (and get!!) suggetions, learn about color, scale, etc. and the pooches are the best! I often take away so much from one of your "opinions please" threads, and am amazed at all the ideas people come up with. I feel like we get to decorate and 'buy' without spending any money! I always have fun and get challenged by your posts, so thanks!

Respected Contributor

My favorite is the pink.  The white one reminds me of a wedding.  Cute dog!  

Esteemed Contributor

I think the pink will look lovely!!

Respected Contributor

@crazycockermom wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@crazycockermom I'm not sure it's a look I would choose, but I think the wreath would be fine. I also think the purple would work as well or better than any of the color options. I think it would play nicely off the pink chair. Unless the pink wreath is the same shade as the chair, I think it could just look unmatched and potentially odd. the white is pretty but might wash out and the blue, to me, just brings in a too different intensity of color. I might also consider lowering the pictures a bit. It might be the angle of the shot, but they appear to hang quite high on the wall with nothing below them for balance. I've also often heard thing work best in threes, so if you had a similarly framed picture to add to the grouping, that might be worth considering.

Woman Happy

Thanks for all your ideas!   DH helped me hang the pics and he's tall which often results in pictures ending up higher than I prefer.  I bit my tongue but just may move them down myself sometime.  It might be hard to find a picture that goes with those two, but I will consider that.  

I'm not sure how the chairs are coming across, but they aren't pink at all, they are a taupe color.  

Now I understand why the pictures are hung too high.  A rule of thumb for hanging pictures is that they should be hung at your eye level