Honored Contributor

Re: Need help with sizing a shade for a lamp base...

On 1/9/2014 SHOPR said:

I think the shade you ordered should fit fine with your base, even if it is 2 inches longer, if I read the dimensions correctly. The base has plenty of blank area between the bird/flowers and where the shade should fall, so the additional shade length shouldn't cover up or crowd anything.

In case you are interested in looking at a bell shaped (but not rectangular, unfortunately) burlap shade in person, I saw them at Walmart recently. They look nice for the price in my opinion. Here is the one I saw:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Homes-and-Gardens-BH43-020-499-21-Better-Homes-and-Gardens-Burlap-B...

Hello SHOPR,

Wow! The lampshade you gave me the link to showed such a great shade, I took a trip to our local WM and to my delight, it was even better looking than the pic online! The quality is superb...unbelievable bargain for $14.95! I bought it with only one concern...the actual set up of the framework on the inside of the shade.

The actual bird lamp base shows the finial on top...so the framework/set up is on the top of the shade. With the framework being in the middle of the WM shade, the finial won't be showing...which is fine with me, just wondering if it will sit too low on the base and cover part of the bird/flowers.

The info on the outside of the shade I got at WM states I won't need the harp. So I'm thinking ok...but still scratching my head on how/where the shade will line up...or if it will work without the shade being either too high with a harp or too low without the harp.

Well, for now, all I can do is sit and wait for the lamp to arrive...about Wed. next week I figure. I REALLY want this shade to work...it is an AWESOME shade!!! I appreciate you helping me find a better deal/shade for the base.

I'll post with an update with a pic when I get the lamp! Smile

Honored Contributor

SHOPR,

Thanks again for your help with a lampshade. I LOVE the shade you picked out with the lamp base and you saved me $40!!! TYSVM...it is PERFECT! I canceled my order for the shade I ordered (was back ordered anyway...worked out great!). Below is a couple of pics of the lamp...one with other lights on in the room and the other pic is with our livingroom dark and just the lamp on {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

When ordering a shade sight unseen be sure and determine whether the shade is meant to be used with a harp or not. Those used with a harp will sit up higher than those that simply fit down over the bulb. Don't mean to sound like 'master of the obvious' but it's easy to forget when looking at shades what kind you need.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Love your lamp and shade together!

Super Contributor

How perfect! The shade follows the same graceful curve as the original! What a find! Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

On 1/13/2014 stevieb said:

When ordering a shade sight unseen be sure and determine whether the shade is meant to be used with a harp or not. Those used with a harp will sit up higher than those that simply fit down over the bulb. Don't mean to sound like 'master of the obvious' but it's easy to forget when looking at shades what kind you need.

I understand about all that....harp, no harp, etc. The problem was that there was no info in the description on the Q about harp/no harp. All I was able to go by was the pic and presentation...with a finial showing on top...hence a harp. As I mentioned in a post above, you will see all of my concerns...don't want to repeat myself...lol

Honored Contributor

Love your lamp and shade together!

Thanks! Yes, in the end, it all worked out Smile

Honored Contributor

On 1/13/2014 Susan Louise said:

I understand about all that....harp, no harp, etc. The problem was that there was no info in the description on the Q about harp/no harp. All I was able to go by was the pic and presentation...with a finial showing on top...hence a harp. As I mentioned in a post above, you will see all of my concerns...don't want to repeat myself...lol

No problem. I didn't read all the posts. My fault. Incidentally, harps are usually removable, so either type of shade should work, but some folks prefer using the harp so they can use decorative finials...

Honored Contributor

On 1/13/2014 LoopyLoo said:

How perfect! The shade follows the same graceful curve as the original! What a find! Enjoy!

Hi LoopyLoo,

TY! I was lucky to have help from SHOPR Smile

Honored Contributor

I just ordered this wonderful wall art piece at Wayfair dot com (SKU #GFCT1017). It will look great in our livingroom with the lamp...it has a perfect 5 star review too...a reasonable price with FREE S&H too...

WOOT!

Sharing for those interested