Honored Contributor

Need help with sizing a shade for a lamp base...

Hello All,

I just bought the bird lamp by Home Reflections (H199054). I don't like the shade and want to get a burlap one which will go better with our decor in the livingroom.

The lamp shade dimensions of the one that comes with the lamp is 9"H x 14" Diam.

Below is a pic of the shade I want to get. The dimensions of it on the site state it to be:

14" oval burlap - 8x12" top, 9x14" bottom, 11" side

Do you think this shade work well with the lamp (size-wise)? I know, if need be, I can get a different size harp or a shade riser for minor adjustments.

I wish a local lighting store had this shade so I could just bring the base with me, but they don't have anything close to what I want...hence I am trying to pick a good match online and wanting to make sure before I have it sent...trying to avoid the possibility of returning it...

TIA Smile

/></p>

Honored Contributor

Re: Need help with sizing a shade for a lamp base...

Well, I decided to order the shade...worst case scenerio, I will just have to return it. After spending several hours researching for better shade options, I couldn't find anything better. The only problem is I have to wait til the end of the month to get the shade because it's in back order status...oh well.

I'll post a pick of how the shade looks on the lamp when I get it {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

From the dimensions, it sounds pretty close to what you need.

What does your base look like? I'm just curious. I really like burlap - very pretty.

Honored Contributor

I'm sure you probably looked at amazon but if you didn't - when I needed an odd sized shade i looked in amazon and found it right away.
Honored Contributor

On 1/8/2014 brii said:

What does your base look like? I'm just curious. I really like burlap - very pretty.

The thing was, since the lamp is going to be put on a side board table (a vintage game table closed up), a round shade would hang over the table...looking awkward to me...so was trying to find a dark burlap shade that was either bell/rectangular or oval. I think this oval one will look best.

As I mentioned in the OP, the base/lamp is QVC # H199054...if you have time, watch the video Smile

Honored Contributor

On 1/8/2014 Susan Louise said:
On 1/8/2014 brii said:

The thing was, since the lamp is going to be put on a side board table (a vintage game table closed up), a round shade would hang over the table...looking awkward to me...so was trying to find a dark burlap shade that was either bell/rectangular or oval. I think this oval one will look best.

As I mentioned in the OP, the base/lamp is QVC # H199054...if you have time, watch the video Smile

Oops - I missed where you posted the item number.

It's a very pretty lamp. Actually, I like the burlap one better than the shade that comes with the lamp. The oval shape will be perfect.

Hope it works out...

Esteemed Contributor

Go check out website LAMPSPLUS (LAMPS PLUS) - I have replaced all my shades at one time or another over the years. Big selection and you can put your shade measurements at the top of the home page and that saves you from looking at what you can't use. Chose your style too.

They also give you a new harp with the new shade. Packing for shipment is excellent but be prepared for a lot of 'popcorn' (packing) LOL

Honored Contributor

On 1/8/2014 brii said:
On 1/8/2014 Susan Louise said:
On 1/8/2014 brii said:

Oops - I missed where you posted the item number.

It's a very pretty lamp. Actually, I like the burlap one better than the shade that comes with the lamp. The oval shape will be perfect.

Hope it works out...

No problem...and Thanks! Your thoughts are appreciated Smile

Respected Contributor

On 1/8/2014 fthunt said:

Go check out website LAMPSPLUS (LAMPS PLUS) - I have replaced all my shades at one time or another over the years. Big selection and you can put your shade measurements at the top of the home page and that saves you from looking at what you can't use. Chose your style too.

They also give you a new harp with the new shade. Packing for shipment is excellent but be prepared for a lot of 'popcorn' (packing) LOL

Thanks for this information. I have been procrastinating about replacing 3 shades because it's always so hard to find the right size, shape and configuration. I have a local lamps plus but online might give more choices.

Esteemed Contributor

I think the shade you ordered should fit fine with your base, even if it is 2 inches longer, if I read the dimensions correctly. The base has plenty of blank area between the bird/flowers and where the shade should fall, so the additional shade length shouldn't cover up or crowd anything.

In case you are interested in looking at a bell shaped (but not rectangular, unfortunately) burlap shade in person, I saw them at Walmart recently. They look nice for the price in my opinion. Here is the one I saw:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Homes-and-Gardens-BH43-020-499-21-Better-Homes-and-Gardens-Burlap-B...