Honored Contributor

Re: Need New Washing Machine--Agitator or Not?

This new water saver feature really stinks. Right now I have nothing in the washer but my bras because I do them in cold/gentle but to cover 7 bras with water I had to set it to large load.

Respected Contributor

The locking lid is meant to protect you from sticking your hand in when it is spinning out the clothes. The new washers do spin clothes out faster than old machines. The manufactures don't want people sticking their hands in there and breaking their arms then sueing them. I don't mind water conservation, which is why you should wash a full load of laundry when you do wash, but HE washers were meant not to just save you money on your water bill but save water over all and use less detergent and over all save people money doing their laundry. Someone did point out that it is the agitation is what cleans and not the amount of water. If your clothes aren't clean, then the issue may be too much water and not enough clothes. That combo will less the amount of agitation the clothes get, which is gentlier on the clothes but lesses the amount of clean scrubbing done. 7 bras should be done in as a small load of laundry. Don't forget that as the clothes get wet, they will compact down, like cooking greens....a whole pile cooks down to very little. But for the gentle aspect of washing bras would call for more water for less agitation, so medium is probably best for 7 bras unless you have really big bras, which some are. Water is a limited resource, which people living in larger cities tend to forget since their city water system is more efficient and online than people like me with a well. When we have storms the power stilll goes out for several hours, which reminds you how important water and power is. You can also get around the whole HE water thing by buying a used, older washer, which is recycling, and that also saves the planet. The less in land fills the better!!! Buy from a reputable dealer or take someone that knows what they are looking at with you. It is a very common practice around here, as appliance are expensive and tend to go out when you are in the most need of them and are tight on money and/or the weekend when the repair people charge overtime!
Honored Contributor

Love my Speed Queen.  I love the mini - delicate wash cycle for my bras, no locking lid, made in USA.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm waiting for my Cabrio Whirlpool washer and dryer to be delivered this week. I love Whirlpool. I have had to 2 sets of Whirlpool. Each have lasted for over 25 years! This will probably be the last set I buy. Just an FYI - the gas dryer takes up to 3 weeks to get. A special order I guess, so if you need one immediately good luck! I'm getting them in the stainless steel. Can't wait!!  No agitator which will be hard getting used to.

Respected Contributor

Another thumbs up for Speed Queen, made in America & built to last. I also had a front loader that I threw out, too little water, too many repairs, it smelled awful & I washed every load 2 times. With the Speed Queen the water fills up the tub, the agitator cleans well & the lid opens when I want it to. I have the model with the dials & prefer it over the electronic board. Run to get one before the goverment laundry nannies take them away! One thing I do miss is the choice of using hot or warm water for the rinse...Happy Memories.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yeah, get one of those front loaders that "clean" with two cups of water, just don't forget to set it for FIVE rinses (is that saving water?) to get the residual soap out only to still have a residue when all is said and done.....and plan on your washer running for more than 1.5 hours to "finish" a single load.....

Another vote for top loader with agitator if you can control water levels.. big recommendation with the current version of Speed Queen, which, I hear, may be made to contort to more gov. regs in the near future, so.... maybe get one now.

Valued Contributor

Also, the only thing worse than a front loader is a top loader with one of those impellers, not agitators.  Go to youtube to see what I mean.

Contributor

Does anyone know if this Speed Queen brand comes in a stackable version?

If not, does anyone have a stackable washer/dryer referral.

(I am moving into a new apt which is set up for a stackable set.)

Thanks.

Respected Contributor

hi glenny46. we have had both washers with and without agitator.now that were living above my inlaws that have a whirlpool agitator washer my wife is the one that folds clothes and i do laundry. she said she noticed that the clothes look cleaaner now than when we had the maytag he with no agitator. if you go on the maytag website they show a new washer with an agitator working. if i had to buy a new washer that would be my pick. you should check it out and good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm noting all the Speed Queen recs for the near future.

Have a frontloader Maytag -- not top of the line but close -- and I really don't like it.

My clothes are rarely "dirty" or stained, so I just wash them because they have been worn.

Without fail, no matter the load size, that machine gets out of balance!  And, everything comes out in a big, twisted ball.  I can stop it to throw in stray things.  I can tell you, the clothes are just sloggy wet.  I use a tiny bit of HE soap, vinegar and always do an extra rinse. 

The drum was replaced years ago because of the stinky mold issue, but the gasket still got funky.

No more front loaders -- ever!