Trusted Contributor

Need Ideas for My Next Project

I found an old toy chest that looks similar to this one except the one I found has no cushion. It has two insets at the top and at the bottom where it would look cool with two tone paint or stain.

It needs to be sanded because the kids who had it carved into the front. I want to repurpose it into a bench/blanket storage chest.

The lady at GW said her daughter wanted it and she told her no one would want it and to come back later for it. Whoops! She looked kind of upset that I bought it!

Any and all creative ideas are appreciated! I have been chalk painting an upholstered wooden footstool. I am still painting it so it is not finished yet. I don't know it I want to use the chalk paint on the bigger item.

Super Contributor

Re: Need Ideas for My Next Project

Hello! I had just seen some ideas about this very thing on Pinterest. Pinterest is great for ideas on how to repurpose things! 🔨

Honored Contributor

Shoot, I was gonna say chalk paint it.  I despise sanding/refinishing anything now.  I'm chalk paint spoiled.  No toxic chemicals to breathe in and no future out-gassing into/onto your nice blankets.

I say chalk paint it and buy two pillows for the top to make it look like a seat, too.

Honored Contributor

Also, you can buy wooden fixtures in the aisle at Lowes that has fancy trims and things like dental molding.  

You could glue fancy corners on or place a medallion in the middle on the front and paint that a lighter shade or a different color totally.

Trusted Contributor

@Lucky Charm @StillFuntoShop

Thanks for the replies! I have seen the wooden pieces at Lowe's but I have never used them in a project.

If I could find a larger medallion for the bottom, I would not have to sand out the tic tac toe carvings!

A two tone shade would be great! I need to look on Pinterest!

I just finished the second coat of CP on the ottoman, but have not done the finishing such as clear wax and antiquing wax. If it turns out nice, I may do the same on this piece.

Honored Contributor

@flickerbulb

How about mosaic tiles in the inserts, something like this (obviously not a bench, but it gives you an idea).

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Could you add bun feet or corner feet or such to the bottom of it?  Amazon sells them, as do home-improvement stores and specialty web sites.  Google "bun feet" for a look at the vendors.  These sites also have plenty of other wood appliques and such that you could add to carry out others' suggestions above.

Honored Contributor

@flickerbulb

Paint + decoupage is an option as well, like in this piece.

Honored Contributor

@flickerbulb

You could add strips of fabric, like fat quarters, to make it look like a quilted box.

Trusted Contributor

@Ms X @lolakimono

Great ideas! I was looking at the feet it would look great with bun feet. My sofa has those so it would coordinate.

I never thought about decoupage. That would also cover up the carvings with no sanding. It would be cool to find a botanical book and use the pictures. Hmmm. Great ideas!