Respected Contributor

My lesson from an appliance executive

I recently had the opportunity to have a enlightening conversation with an executive of an appliance company.

We were discuss Consumer Reports reviews, recalls, who owns who, what is imported vs USA made etc.

My main take-aways I thought I would share:

Appliances are made to last 8 years.Why?

1. In the US the average homeowner moves in about that time and when they do, they tend to buy all new appliances in their new house.
  2. Trends
  3. Younger generations do not the same 'things' for decades they want the newest 'stuff' (Younger was 40 years old or less).  Technology changes too fast today.

Unless you are buying a "premium brand"  (a nice way of saying SEVERAL thousand dollars appliances) Such as Sub-zero, Viking, La Cornue, Wolf, Gaggenau.

It really does not matter what you buy, they all about the same. Almost all internal parts are made by a small handful of manufactures worldwide.  The finishes, colors and prices are the only true difference.

Brand loyalty and perceived quality is the only thing that has a bearing on the price.  More money is spent in product placement (Home reno shows), advertising and marketing to create the illusion of "high-end" or "quality" than the making of the appliance.

His advice was find out what features are important you, then go out and buy whatever brand is cheapest, on sale or clearance that has those features.  

He was a hoot to talk to and a very genuine guy.  In the end I guess nothing he said was truly surprising.

Regular Contributor

Re: My lesson from an appliance executive

I agree with everything you mentioned. I"ve learned my lesson.  Bought a Maytag dryer which was not cheap. It didn't even last 4 yrs, couldn't be fixed (had repair person a couple of times) so I went out  & bought a Hotpoint (GE's low end).  It is very basic and is performing much better than my Maytag with all the bells & whistles.  I've had the same experience with a dishwasher.  It's people's perception of things, not necessarily what are the facts.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for posting this.  I've read similar articles but this guy really laid everything out.

I wish they made appliances for old coots like me that would like to keep something longer than eight years but don't want to take out a second mortgage . . . Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I recently reacquired a Kenmore set I bought new when I bought my house. I had a front loader that was nothing but trouble.

Two years into the new set, it broke down and the repairman told me they could not be repaired and to replace the washer. Went online and figured out how to fix it.

Got the old set back and it is still going strong. They don't build them like they used to! They are worth their weight in gold.

My friend's mom still has the dryer she bought in 1969!

Honored Contributor

I can't even tell you how old my washer is.  I don't even want to think about it!  But when I do go to replace it, it will be with the most *ahem* cost effective one I can lay my hands on . . . Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

My newest appliance is a used Kenmore Side by Side fridge.  My other appliances either came with the house or I brought with me from college.  They are all 15 years plus old, so unless they die like the fridge, they aren't getting replaced.

Honored Contributor

I agree with most of what was written here - except I don't think most people move every 8 years. We bought a new build home in Florida 6 years ago and true to what you have said many of our neighbors have started having issues with major appliances. Everything in these homes is builder grade GE. Not bad enough to need replaced but the appliance repair man is seen in our neighborhood daily.

I also agree that in my experience with my nieces and nephews they buy new major appliances when the look changes even though the ones they have are still operating perfectly. My one niece just totally replaced her kitchen cabinets and counters even though her old ones were only 10 years old. Threw away a kitchen full of granite counters, ripped up terrazzo tile floors and replaced it all.

Honored Contributor

I have one neighbor who totally replaces any appliance as soon as anything goes wrong with it. She replaced her DW because the little door where the soap goes broke instead of getting it fixed, replaced her stove when the oven needed a new thermostat and her fridge when the ice maker needed a new hose. It's her money, but this seems pretty extreme to me.

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

Thanks for posting this.  I've read similar articles but this guy really laid everything out.

I wish they made appliances for old coots like me that would like to keep something longer than eight years but don't want to take out a second mortgage . . . Smiley Happy

You made me LOL ! Not a bad idea.

I am picturing Madmen advertising managers coming up for the marketing of the 'Old Coot' applicance line!!!

You always hear "not your Mother's....." to refer to the new modern____ .  In this case this is exactly what people want!

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

You made me LOL ! Not a bad idea.

I am picturing Madmen advertising managers coming up for the marketing of the 'Old Coot' applicance line!!!

You always hear "not your Mother's....." to refer to the new modern____ .  In this case this is exactly what people want!

I know, right?  Introducing a new appliance line for old coots that are more interested in function rather than fashion (formerly known as "not your Mother's xxx) . . . thanks for the laugh!