Trusted Contributor

I was taking my dog out front to do her business when a big bobcat ran across my  front walk and off into the vacant lot next door!

Very exciting because I usually don't see them. I actually saw one a few weeks ago a few streets over in the early morning. He/she poked around someone's plant bed just like a big old kitty cat.

I hope to see my new neighbor more often....just as long as it does not mess with my doggies! I love nature!

Honored Contributor

Wow!  That is exciting (I guess!!)  Can a bobcat kill you?  I hope not! 

The only thing I have to worry about in my neighborhood is sharks.

Trusted Contributor

I live in the Catskills and due to wildfires, we are having more bobcats, coyotes, and bear this year.   It is dangerous out there.   Thank God for leashes.    Anyonre letting a dog roam free and unwatched is inviting their demise.

Esteemed Contributor
I've had fox and coyote run through the backyard. theres a large fountain where they often get a drink. Now, on the ocean side yup sharks!
Trusted Contributor

Last fall a cute bobcat went past our chicken coop. I told him to just keep going and leave our ladies alone.And he did. I haven't seen him anymore which I guess is a good thing.

I also saw a red fox last week just sitting around watching cars go up the hill.

Honored Contributor

PLEASE........do not approach a bobcat.    They are wild animals.   (I'm in AZ)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor
DesertDi, that is kind of hard for me considering I live with one that is half Bobcat and half tabby. He is a sweetie, at 30 pound and bigger than most small dogs breeds, but he is a total sweetie.

They are wild animals and all wild animals should be respected and not contacted. Watch from a very safe distance, like from inside your house. Most of those wild animals are more scared of you than you are of them, even snakes and spiders. Just let them have their space and you have yours. I'm in the deep south, so we have all kinds of critters, even domestic ones. My neighbors breed pit bulls and even they are scared of me. Their little Chihuahua muts are more aggressive. The little ones are the mean ones. The big ones are just big puppies. My other neighbors have Dobermans. They manage to get out over a 8 foot fence with barbwire and end up on my porch when I go to work in the mornings. They are sweeties, but still skiddish of people.

I'm the kind of person that uses live traps for mice and lets them go outside. I just feel most people do respect and leave wild animals alone to be animals. Frankly, going to Walmart is way more scary!!! You should be very afraid there!
Honored Contributor

Re: Mr. Bobcat!!!!

[ Edited ]

@flickerbulb wrote:

I was taking my dog out front to do her business when a big bobcat ran across my  front walk and off into the vacant lot next door!

Very exciting because I usually don't see them. I actually saw one a few weeks ago a few streets over in the early morning. He/she poked around someone's plant bed just like a big old kitty cat.

I hope to see my new neighbor more often....just as long as it does not mess with my doggies! I love nature!

I have seen a few near my home, and actually, saw one in my backyard.  We have cyclone fencing with an over thirty foot hedge on it so there must be a large hole under it somewhere,  we havn't found it, otherwise it couldn't have gotten in.

One neighbor I hope never to see is a Mountain Lion.  They are in this area. and when DH takes the garbage cans down to the road in the dark, I worry that he may encounter one.

Respected Contributor
A fine example. I just went out to get the mail while it wasn't raining. My left side neighbor's pit was out and the right side neighbor's bulldog mix and German Shepard and two pups were out. The bulldog mix starts barking at me and approaching, the others do too. I get closer to the pit, some50 feet or so, and she turns back knowing that she is in my yard (mind you I have petted her before but not much), and the bulldog mix keeps approaching and backing up playing like he does with the puppies. I get my mail while watching them all and sit on the stoop. The German approaches and get petting, then the bulldog mix can't stand that and just buts himself in and so do the puppies. The pit stayed next door.

I never acted scared making sure they knew whose yard was whose. Mind you that works with my other neighbors' dobermans, but not all dogs will do that. If you act scared, the will know. If you act confident but keep to yourself, they generally do as well. Mind you, we don't have fence laws in the county.