Esteemed Contributor

Looking for rug cleaner machine

Need advice.  I have area carpets, Orientals.  I need them cleaned.  Wondering if anyone has any experience with any of the brands.  I do not want it to be too heavy or large.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for rug cleaner machine

If your rugs are valuable such as antiques, I wouldn't  use one of the home rug machines on them.  There are speciality companies that clean orientals.  I have Navajo rugs and don't even use the regular vacuum on them, let alone a cleaning machine.  One, a white rug, sustained some smoke damage.  It's not even 3 X 5ft, and it cost my insurance company  $150 to clean it 20 years ago.  It's always been used as a wall hanging, not on the floor.  The company that cleaned it also does orientals.  It took them 2 months to do it.  If you want it faster, they charge more.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

When I lived in CA, I had a Persian...........and my husband rolled it up and took it to a professional rug-cleaning place that took smaller rugs over the counter.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu, I have a Hoover steam vac which I love and use all the time on smaller area rugs and the entryway rug at the front door.  I agree with @Kachina624.  If you have good rugs, protect your investment and have them cleaned professionally.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

I have about 20 Royal Palace rugs and use the Bissell rug cleaner with great results. I have both the full size model and the upright spot cleaner model.  I've had other models in the past from Kirby to Oreck, etc. They did the job but were either too heavy or to difficult to take apart to clean. The Bissells are light weight but do the job. They are a breeze to take apart to clean.

I would recommend that you have your oriental professionally cleaned. I'm not sure if I would run anything on that one. At the very least, google some info on line and see what you can find out about in home cleaning. You would definetaly want to do a spot test before touching it.  I wonder if you could use the blower on the vacuum to blow the dust out and then use a steamer from a distance to steam clean it? I don't have orientials but I know they are beautiful and fragile.

Esteemed Contributor

Most of my rugs are Royal Palace. I don't imagine they would be harmed by a rug machine.  I have only one expensive oriental that was my moms.  I am still going crazy thinking about it.  Found one on Amazon, great price. Put it in my cart, a day later it went up  10 dollars, then one more day another 10 dollars, another day 10 more dollars.  Can't hardly wait for tomorrow to see the increase.  Almost a joke.  I will probably go into Costco tomorrow and buy the Bissel on sale, or not.