Honored Contributor

Re: Let's talk the color of floor coverings.

@alicedee wrote:

IMG_1354.JPGWhen I had my house I had hickory floors similar to this.  It looked beautiful with my mix of new and antique wood furniture.  

I also have hickory, but it's MUCH darker as a whole..........similar to the darkest boards in the pictured floor.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

Rule of thumb is, no matter what type of flooring you pick, if you keep with the same color tone throughout  it will make your house look bigger.

Honored Contributor

I think it is a matter of personal taste. Dark floors are trendy right now but are also a real pain to keep clean as they show every speck of dust and hair, old fashioned oak floors are the best for ease of caring for them but that yellow toned stain is passe now. Personally - I like a medium cherry or a red oak - both are neither too light or too dark, easy to upkeep and neutral for matching furniture to them. Both are the same color range but the oak has a lot more grain and the cherry is smoother, richer looking. 

Honored Contributor

My high school was built in 1895 and a couple years ago it was converted to senior housing apartments. I went to an open house to look at it and they were still using the original oak floors throughout. 120 years old.

Esteemed Contributor

We are talking about the same thing right now. We need to decide what kind of flooring to put down. We need it to look good so the house will sell. We were thinking we would just go with sheet vinyl. But we also think if we did laminate the house might sell faster. But what color laminate do you put didn't with oak cabinets. There is also oak trim around the windows and floor.
Honored Contributor

We have fairly dark wood floors and love them.  They are not the hand scraped ones, and I am glad beause I think that is sort of a trend thing that will go away.

Our last house had light maple floors, which we LOVED too! 

Respected Contributor

Just go with the size of your rooms. Light flooring will open the spave and dark flooring will close in the space. Light colors reflect more lights and dark colors absorb more light. Check the size of your windows and amount of light/time of day your rooms are lite up. Wood is neutral regardless of the color you pick. You may also like to check the color of any of your wood furniture/cabinets and use that as a starting point, as what you have in the kitchen/dining/living need to match for continuity and resell value.
Honored Contributor

If I had an opportunity to redo everything ... it would be dark wood throughout ... including kitchen cabinets.   I have a medium colored parquet floor throughout my apt. ...  with darker colored area rugs in each room.  I like the look, but would prefer darker.  

I prefer darker interiors.- nothing brightly lit.   Subdued lighting.  All my wood furniture now is black matte lacquer.  

Honored Contributor

Light wood floors will not show the dust but dark wood floors will.  Plus light will make you rooms look larger.  The wood stain in the picture with the dog are very nice.  If you have many different color woods in your furniture, I believe that lighter wood floors would look best even the one in the picture with the dog will look good.  You need to bring samples home before you make a decision.   Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

We had ash hardwood done throughout our primary residence and I love it so much I'm having a summer home done the same.

However, it's very similar to the posted picture of hickory.  And ours is a *mix* of darker boards, but mostly the lighter ones.

It's bright and happy for a floor.  I can't tell you how many times I've been complimented on it.

Ash is very durable-it's what they make baseball bats of of!