Valued Contributor

I only have 2 days but I am debating if I should order one of  Valeries' larger gingerbread houses.  I just had to return 2 different orders of Valeries' CIJ items and don't want to have to return a 3rd one.  I did keep the white snowball globes although they look cheap to me but look nicer when lit. I should add batteries to the others to be sure they all work but keep forgetting to do that.

Anyone get the large gingerbread houses and how are they?

TIA!

Honored Contributor

Re: Larger Gingerbread houses

@Jayjay wrote:

I only have 2 days but I am debating if I should order one of  Valeries' larger gingerbread houses.  I just had to return 2 different orders of Valeries' CIJ items and don't want to have to return a 3rd one.  I did keep the white snowball globes although they look cheap to me but look nicer when lit. I should add batteries to the others to be sure they all work but keep forgetting to do that.

TIA!

I have at least three, maybe four, of the large houses and they are wonderful.  I don't light them because the light gives off a blue hue, but I think a different light could be installed.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Jayjay wrote:

TIA!

I have at least three, maybe four, of the large houses and they are wonderful.  I don't light them because the light gives off a blue hue, but I think a different light could be installed.

Hi mousiegirl,

Notice the bolded phrase above.  This caught my eye because a blue hue is due to a bulb that gives off "cold white" light.  These are often the bulbs or fluorescent tubes that light up a room or retail space that almost makes your eyes hurt.  I really don't care for that kind of light source.

What you might wish to do is replace the bulbs with "warm white" bulbs.  This type of bulb gives off more of a slight pink or peach hue, rather than the harsh blue.

If you don't know how or where to replace the bulb, take the bulb out and read the watt and volt information off of it.  If this information is not on the bulb, it should be on the gingerbread house bottom.  (If it isn't, call QVC for that information.)  Next, go online and look up Top Bulb.  They have a customer service number you can call and are so nice and helpful.  In a professional capacity, I had to call them to see if they carried an obscure microscope bulb and not only did they carry it, the lady who helped me was incredibly wonderful on the phone and helped me set up a corporate account.  They carry just about every bulb you can imagine, so I hope they can help you light your wonderful gingerbread houses.

God luck!

Honored Contributor

I ordered the gingerbread one and its beautiful.  As for the lighting won't matter much as I intend to use it in my kitchen (I do my kitchen in all gingerbread) and I'm sure the under the cabinet lighting will be enough.

Its a nice size -- only drawback for me is this "wierd" odor.  I had a few friends smell it and they think its from the plastic and material packing.

Letting it air out.  Other than this its absolutely perfect.  I'm amazed the decorations look almost real like a true gingerbread house!

If you get them, enjoy! 

Frequent Contributor

After a few years of debating, I finally purchased 1 of these gingerbread houses.  I knew the dimensions, but now that it's here, it seems kind of "short".   I was thinkinf of using it on a lazy susan on my kitchen table, but it certainly needs more "stuff" to go with it.    Do you have any ideas you all could share with me?    TIA!

Honored Contributor

I have never purchased any gingerbread things, but have notices a couple of things.

Oftentimes, the details are less than perfect, some things crooked, some of the painting not really good. But this is kind of the charm of gingy things for some people. So I guess if one is really choosy about quality, Valerie's line might be kind of a gamble.

The other thing is that right now, the prices are as good as they are going to get, and you do have a really long time to decide about keeping them. That is one of the great things about buying decor this time of year, lots of time to see if it holds up (lights, timers, etc) and lots of time to get the return made if it doesn't live up to your expectations. 

Probably wouldn't hurt to try.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tulips wrote:

After a few years of debating, I finally purchased 1 of these gingerbread houses.  I knew the dimensions, but now that it's here, it seems kind of "short".   I was thinkinf of using it on a lazy susan on my kitchen table, but it certainly needs more "stuff" to go with it.    Do you have any ideas you all could share with me?    TIA!

I think they are thirteen inches high, unless you bought the 9" house.  Mine are big.  I put Annalee gingerbread dolls, Valerie's gumdrop trees and sugar cone trees, etc. in a large display on my kitchen hutch with her Gingerbread houses.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tulips wrote:

Maybe some bottle brush trees of varying heights, some taller than the house?  Valerie is supposed to have a set later on this year, but I don't know when.  Hobby Lobby had some last year, although they weren't very tall, if I remember correctly.  

Super Contributor

For the first time I ordered Valerie's Gingerbread house from this year, the 9 inch one that is the nutcracker design. Boy did it stink to high heaven. So I have been letting it "air out" this week and that seems to be working. It's a beautiful house even with the little imperfections, but I guess if one is to make a real gingerbread house there would be imperfections too.  It lights well, but the battery door is a little aggravating but I can deal. Today from HomeGoods I purchased a large ceramic cake pedestal stand with red ribbon intertwined on the edge, looks Christmassy or for Valentines, or year round I guess. I plan to sit the Gingerbread house on that this year.

Bottom line I do plan on keeping Valerie's Gingerbread house even with the little imperfections.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I decided to order the peppermint one and today, it's on 4 easy pays. I'm happy I waited hoping the final day might have some incentives.  

I wanted something new for my grandkids to look for every year and I had to return the minis so I'm hoping this will arrive in good shape.

Thanks for all your comments; I'll update after I receive it.