Super Contributor

Landscapers' billing practices....

We just started using a landscaping service this fall.  It seems that they bill in advance of when the work is completed.  For the ‘leaf blowing” service they billed us for 4 visits at $75/per visit.  The leaf blowing season was over, and I realized that they only came 3 times because 1 time was rained out.  I emailed them and told them that they were only there 3 times.  They got back to me and said they don’t really give credit for missed visits because at the final visit, there would be double the leaves and they’d get them all at that time..  What’s up with that?  At that rate, they should only come once at the end of the season and get ALL of the leaves in one shot.  Your thoughts?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Landscapers' billing practices....

Not sure that would work for me. Our current landscapers are my dh and I, but at one time we did have one when we had more rentals. A wonderful husband and wife and they charged a monthly fee, but not in advance. If there was something that needed doing that was extra, they would contact us and ask if we would like them to do it. Worked out very well for us. Weather is too unpredictable to charge ahead for services, IMO.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

PS: We just contracted with an arborist to clean up and shape a 40 year old cedar tree. They want NO money until the work is completed. Same with a new roof and house painting that we had done last year.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

@seaswirlWhen I owned my Long Island house, my landscaper came more than once to do the leaves.  I agreed with that because I didn't want wet, heavy plies of leaves sitting on my lawn for weeks.

But, I was not billed in advance.  There was a small fee added to maybe two biweekly mowings and then one larger fee for the final cleanup of the fall.  There was another fee (smaller than that final fall fee) to start the spring.  So, in a way I did pay 4 fees - just not in advance of the work.

I'm not mentioning dollars because I sold that house a few years back.  Also, not sure it made a difference, but I had the same small company working in my yard for about 20 years and the owner was one of the workers.

Trusted Contributor

I guess the best answer to your question is a question.  What industry bills in advance?  Dentists?  Medical professional? Go through a list and answer the query.  Even contractors building a house take intermittent draws.  If it were me, I would look elsewhere for my needs.

Respected Contributor

@seaswirl  I think you need a different landscaping company.  My BIL has worked for several companies over the years in that business, and they never charged in advance.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Depending on how big the yard is, $300 for removal seems like a good price.  The billing practices though are the deal breaker, especially since you didn't get what you paid for.  You paid for four visits, not three.  If they won't negotiate the payment terms, I'd be looking for someone else.

Frequent Contributor

I'm with most of the other responses ... look elsewhere services.  Billing in advance is not a good business practice.  What would happen if they went belly up and you've already paid them? 

Trusted Contributor

I wonder if they PAID THEIR WORKERS on the days of they where rained out and where unable to rake the leaves.  

I would look elsewhere. 

Honored Contributor

DH takes care of our yard. No way would I pay up front for the season. What if they close the business? I guarantee you won't get a refund. I would find some one else to the job.