Respected Contributor

Re: Kitchens with open shelving

I prefer the original one over the redone one even if it is outdated.

Honored Contributor

Wonder how she will feel once it's time to take all that Pyrex down and wash the kitchen grease off it!

Pretty, not pratical.

Honored Contributor

If a friend invited me over to see her new kitchen, and this was it, I would love it for her, because it is what she wanted.   I do like the brightness, the fact it's a little different, and I really like the display of the Pyrex collection.   

However, the before kitchen is more my preferred style.  My contractor, and my cabinetmaker laughed at me when they drew up plans for my remodel, because I replaced base cabinet doors with full extend drawers as much as possible.   After 35 years of bending down trying to dig out stuff in the farthest corner of a cabinet, it just made sense to have deeper pot drawers that pull all the way out, giving full access to what's inside.   Even my silverware drawer is a custom 6" deep, which gives more room for storage, without shorting me on cabinet area sstorage underneath.   

Once the contractor and cabinetmaker were done, they were very complimentary on my updates, and could see improved efficiency for my galley kitchen.   

When I see a large kitchen full of base cabinets with doors, my mind sees wasted space that could have been improved with pot drawers.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Count me out too.

I don't like all the open. Too much dusting.  I don't mind all the white. The rest would have to be wood, I get bored of color, then I'd have to repaint all that.

Which gets me back to the original design.

Honored Contributor

I'd love to have that turquoise dish collection and would very much like to have turquoise cabinets, but open shelving would be out of the question where I live.  It's just too dusty.  I'd have to wash dishes before and after using thrm.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

The before kitchen is obviously very, very modest and very, very dated.

I don't, however, care for the after.  It looks as if the updates were accomplished on a shoestring budget, making it suitable for a little cottage/cabin, but not a functioning everyday kitchen.  

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't mind a kitchen set up like that, in fact it's almost like what I have had for 35 years in my little galley kitchen. My kitchen has open Shaker type shelves above the sink and stove and I have free standing cabinetry(antiques) jelly cupboard , dry sink and blind cupboard.Of course I have a cabinet under the sink. We just remodeled our basement and put in a summer kitchen with cabinets above and below and more counter space than I have upstairs, I don't know what to do with all the space. It's pretty nice, but I still prefer my tiny kitchen upstairs.

Honored Contributor

I love the before style which has more space and storage than my current kitchen. I am in the process of making decisions for kitchen remodel. Having to make changes because of budget cuts. Wanted granite counter tops. Contractor suggested laminate but friend suggested silestone. I would love to have the deep drawers for pots and pans.

I really get upset when the tv design shows destroy kitchen counters and cabinets that are in good condition and wish I had them. Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

It seems to me this kitchen is not actually used but is just for displaying her turq, dishes. We actually cook and eat in our kitchen every day.

Respected Contributor

I really don't care for it at all.  I do not like open shelving and I am not a fan of the color either.  Just not my style or taste.