Honored Contributor

Take a look at the before and after in this kitchen remodel.

http://www.littlethings.com/turquoise-kitchen-makeover/?utm_source=LTcom&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_cam...

What do you think?

I personally realize the original was dated, but in very nice condition. The after is very trendy, but I can't stand all the open shelving. Nice for display, but not practical for keeping things clean or storing things that don't 'fit'. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Kitchens with open shelving

I don't like the remodel at all. I need closed cabinets.  I also do not like turquoise cabinets.

That kitchen would have looked better with white cabinets, maybe one glass set of doors for china, and new counter tops.

Esteemed Contributor

Doesn't look like she has any cabinet space left......pretty, but not very functional.....just my opinion.....

Honored Contributor

In my whole, long life I've seen only one real, lived-in kitchen that had either lots of open shelves or lots of glass-enclosed cabinets where the whole thing looked beautiful and functioned well.  So when I see pictures like those in magazines or even on HGTV, I always wonder what the room will look like 6 months later.  I know in the one home where I had glass-enclised cabinets, keeping them display perfect wasn't my top priority after a few months.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't like the remodel at all.I don't think open cabinets are practical!! Dishes & glasses are exposed to dust sitting on the shelves.Which means every time you reach for one it has to be washed.So now you're doing dishes before & after a meal!!

I also don't care for the turquoise color.It's very trendy but doing an entire kitchen around that color is an expensive & time consuming mistake.What do you do when it goes out of style or you get tired of the look?? 

Respected Contributor

I think it's lovely.  Thanks for sharing.

Respected Contributor

Oh, I agree. I would not want open shelving in the kitchen at all. I have nice dishware and I keep my cupboards pretty neat but You would have to be washing the dishes all the time to get the dust and dirt off. Not at all practical.

Honored Contributor

I like the color of the new kitchen but I hate open storage as the shelves. Even though my cabinets are organized I don't want to look at all my dishes. I also don't want to take everything off the shelves & dust everything every week. Looks like more work. LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

I actually think it looks dated now.  LOL  I don't care for the turquoise cabinets and I don't like the open shelving at all.  I also don't care for the floor. 

Honored Contributor

Open shelving is not my cup of tea.  I don't even like it on HGTV shows.  JMO

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~