Honored Contributor

Re: King size items in your washer

We just upgraded to a king size bed this past summer.  I can wash my set of sheets and pillowcases without a problem, the duvet cover too.  I haven't washed the actual duvet/comforter yet, so I don't know if it's going to work or not.  I'm hopeful that it will.  I'm positive I'll have to take the decorative quilted comforter and shams to the laundromat.

Esteemed Contributor

I take mine to the laundromat. I have a large front loader and could "cram" it in, but I didn't feel that it would get clean.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

I aso wanted to add, my laundramat will let me drop off & pick up.

If you go that route, it's not a big deal.

@Snoopp wrote:

Does anyone wash king size items in your washer?  I have to go to a laundromat for king comforters.  I would love to wash a king quilt at home but wonder if it's going to risk damage to my machine.  Sheets are fine, no problem, but I've been washing king blankets at the laundromat.  It would be so much easier to wash some of these items at home.

Valued Contributor

I have a very thin, lightweight down blanket that we sleep with.  I wash that in my washing machine.

We don't sleep with the comforter on the bed - too thick and hot.  I wouldn't even attempt to put that in my washing machine.  I would take it to the laundry mat.

Esteemed Contributor

This is the reason I had to buy the front loading washer and dryer when my other set wore out.  I have flannel sheets, comforters and quilts--all king size.  I have queen size on the other beds.  The front loader was recommended for that size of bedding.  I did see a couple of the standard washers and dryers but I was so tired of twisting my back trying to get the wet load out of the drum.  So tired of trying to trying to unwind the thing in the dryer drum. These do a nice job. I even wash my daughter in laws queen size comforters once I heard how much she was spending to take them to the laundermat.  It's just so much more convenient.  We have dogs,kids and grandkid so it's just makes sense for our needs.   

Respected Contributor

At home I have an older Maytag top loader with agitator.  The size is somewhat larger than " regular "....away from home so the exact wording escapes my memory.

I have washed a king size down comforter in it without any problems....one at a time.  I make sure once it's filled that the water level is appropriate ( may have to add water ).  Don't overuse detergent.  I will do an extra spin cycle to get more water spun out. 

A few few minutes in the dryer, then I drape it over a thick PVC or covered pipe to air dry.  I will shake it several times as it dries to loosen the feathers and enable better drying.

It may sound like a lot of work but in reality it isn't.  Results are excellent.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

Yes.  I have a top loader, one year old, that does my comforters and spreads (king sized) just fine.  It's not a fancy machine at all.  It does have an agitator.

It's more about agitation than tons of water, that gets clothes clean.  Of course I try to keep in mind the weight, so I usually do just those items with maybe some small things thrown in, but so far so good!

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I have a king bed and sheets, lightweight blankets are fine in my top loader.  But I would not put the mattress pad or any sort of comforter/heavy blanket in.  I take them once a year to a laundromat.  A definite pain but don't want to risk damage to the machine.

Respected Contributor

I wash my king comforter in my front-loader all the time! It's not real thick, but it is quilted. I don't do anything special, just the Easy-Care cycle. Sometimes I do an extra spin, if it needs it.

Now, drying it is another story! It fits fine in my dryer (with plenty of tumble room), but I have to take it out and put it back in for 3-4 cycles to get it all dry. I take it out, shake it, and try to put it back in a little differently each time.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

i had a washer like that without an agitator but the bulky cycle fills all the way up more blankets and heavy items. with my regular washer i allways put my king size comforter in with no problem.it was a 3.3 size