Esteemed Contributor

King size items in your washer

Does anyone wash king size items in your washer?  I have to go to a laundromat for king comforters.  I would love to wash a king quilt at home but wonder if it's going to risk damage to my machine.  Sheets are fine, no problem, but I've been washing king blankets at the laundromat.  It would be so much easier to wash some of these items at home.

Honored Contributor

Re: King size items in your washer

@Snoopp wrote:

Does anyone wash king size items in your washer?  I have to go to a laundromat for king comforters.  I would love to wash a king quilt at home but wonder if it's going to risk damage to my machine.  Sheets are fine, no problem, but I've been washing king blankets at the laundromat.  It would be so much easier to wash some of these items at home.

I have washed a King size duvet at home and blankets too

Super Contributor

I take the king comforter to the laundromat. Everything else goes in my washer.

Super Contributor

I have a washing machine without an agitator. I wash king size quilts with no problem.

Honored Contributor

I don't get enough water in my new machine to wash my king size comforter. I go to the laundromat.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It depends on what the item is.  When we bought our current washer it was important for me to be able to wash larger items at home.

Some of my queen sized items fit, some don't because they're heavier quilts than others I have.  King sized items go to the dry cleaners.  If/when we need a new washer however I won't put the expense into yet a larger king sized washer.  Appliances do not last long enough for me to spend that kind of money.  Mind you, I'm certainly not cheap for appliances but some out there are insanely pricey.

Honored Contributor

No.  I can get my fullest queen comforter in there.  I'll have to make a mental note to bring it when I buy a new one.  

Respected Contributor

I guess it depends on how big your washer is.  I have an average size top lading washer and it can barely fit a queen size quilt.  I take the king size blankets and quilts to the laundromat.

My DIL has a newer front loader washer and she can put anything king size in it.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a front loader so I am able to launder my king size comforters and quilts...

Honored Contributor

I have an extra large top loader and I wash my king items in my washer.

I don't just throw it in & let it go.    I let it fill then agitate a bit, then soak a bit.

My blankets are not that dirty, so they don't need the full effect.

@Snoopp wrote: