Esteemed Contributor

Killing airborne germs in your home

Having an autoimmune illness I fear flu season.  I go into high gear wiping remotes, light switches etc with disinfecting wipes  daily sometimes twice a day.  When I was hearing news reports of how bad this years flu strain was I went on line to see what I could learn.  Well I stumbled across an interesting article that stated putting 16 oz of hydrogen peroxide in your humidifier kills airborne germs. I immediately set this up in my humidifier and have been doing it ever since.  I also learned that  the wipes and sprays we use are not as effective as we may think, they don't kill certain viruses.   There are wipes and sprays that the Clorox company make that are only available at the Big A or W and carry a hefty price tag.   I am willing to pay the price for  these disinfectants.    I hope this information is of value to all who read it. I would have shared sooner but wasn't sure how effective it would be.   I do believe it had a big part in keeping me healthy the past few months.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Killing airborne germs in your home

You can mix bleach with water, and use it to wipe down counters or whatever. Bleach kills germs.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure what good it's doing to prevent you from getting the flu in your home. You must be exposed to it by pretty close contact with someone who has it. Do you mean to protect yourself from others living in your home who have it, by these methods? And I'm not sure I'd want to be inhaling H2O2 on a regular basis. Or did you mean using it to clean the humidifier? I would definitely ask your doctor, before using the hydrogen peroxide in a humidifier. Here's an article that discusses the toxicity. https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/MMG/MMG.asp?id=304&tid=55 

here's an excerpt,

Inhalation
Inhalation of vapors, mists, or aerosols from concentrated solutions of hydrogen peroxide can cause significant morbidity. Because it is nearly odorless and nonirritating except at high concentrations, persons may not be aware of its presence. No odor threshold was located for hydrogen peroxide (the OSHA PEL is 1 ppm). Detection of odor does not provide adequate warning of hazardous concentrations. Hydrogen peroxide vapor is heavier than air and may cause asphyxiation in enclosed, poorly ventilated, or low-lying areas.

Honored Contributor

When I was working as a tech in a pathology lab, we had to disinfect surfaces regularly with a 10% bleach solution. The thing is in order for it to be optimally effective then the bleach solution must be made fresh daily and once applied to the area of concern, it has to be left undisturbed for no less than one minute. We did not spray it but used a squirt bottle in order to avoid aerosols.

In my home I use a nebulizing EO diffuser. I prefer to use 4-Thieves oil to disinfect the air during times of need.

Esteemed Contributor

Would vinegar have this effect, does anyone know?

Honored Contributor

@Harpa,

Yes, vinegar kills SOME germs but not all. Bleach is the most effective household disinfectant available. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee I have never heard of that oil but I use eucalyptus.I put it in my furnace vent pads too.I always take some on a Kleenex when getting on a plane and try to breath it in often.

Honored Contributor

@ANewHue we don't eat out during flu season as workers don't get sick pay and will continue to work even when ill.I avoid doctors offices and shop for groceries early before the crowds....wash hands a soon as I get home,use hand sanitizer,avoid public restrooms and don't touch my face.We haven't gotten sick this year so far but it isn't over yet.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dex,

The story behind the name of the "4-Thieves" oil is truly an interesting one. The oil is a blend of  clove, lemon, eucalyptus and rosemary oils. It dates back to the Dark Ages in Europe during the time of The Black Plague pandemic and it was called "4-Thieves Vinegar". The "thieves" of the time would drench themselves in this "vinegar" solution to keep them from contracting the plague whilst they robbed their sickened victims. 

The oil has a very strong medicinal scent and it's uses as a household EO are endless. Google it when you get the chance.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee I am going to look into it for sure and thanks for the info.