Super Contributor

Kerosene/Propane for backup heat source

I've been looking at kerosene heaters and a large Mr. Buddy heater that runs on propane. Which one would you recommend and why?

Do you use either of the above? Any tips/ideas? I guess I'm looking for the pros and cons.

Thank you

Honored Contributor

Re: Kerosene/Propane for backup heat source

We have a Mr Buddy heater we use in the garage when someone is working out there and needs some heat. I don't like the idea of having a propane tank inside the house, but again this is for short term use, and someone is out there when the heater is being used. A kerosene heater is out of the question for use in my household, due to asthma and COPD issues. My husband and daughters have major issues with any type of fumes and smells. You always need to have a window slightly open when using a kerosene heater inside the house, and make sure it is in an open area away from anything flammable. When these heaters first came out, there were issues with overheating, and exploding, even when being used correctly. I do not view them as being safe inside a home. If my only option was to choose between these options, I would choose a Mr Buddy heater. If I could not afford a more permanent alternative heat source, I would buy a small portable gas powered generator to sit outside, and use insulated extension cords to plug in the oil filled electric heaters that look like a radiator. I like these little heaters.
Honored Contributor

Both types require plenty of space around them for safety, and good ventilation is a must as well, for both.

We have kerosene heaters, because they seem to give off more heat, or at least feel like they do. I have found that you get many more hours of heat out of a five gallon can of kerosene, than you can a propane tank, and the light from a kerosene heater provides some light in the darkness.

Kerosene heaters do require maintenance like replacing the wicks and being careful to find good clean kerosene, but they are my preference, for the two types you suggested. I have had kerosene heaters that don't smell bad except for a brief time after turning them off. If you are experiencing smoking or smell, you need a new wick, or to adjust the wick, or the kerosene isn't good grade.

Having a generator, especially one that is hard wired in and supplied by natural gas or propane outside your house (and set to automatically come on when the power goes down) is the safest and easiest form of backup power/heat, but can be expensive to buy and have installed. Portable generators can be had, running on gasoline, and wired in from outside like a barn or work building with power as well, but the burn a lot of gas. Good for emergencies, short term, or they get expensive.

Honored Contributor

We have a kerosene heater and it comes in very handy on occasion. A couple of weeks ago on a day with highs in the teens the power went out for a couple of hours. I gave the power company ten minutes and then brought in the kerosene heater and lit it up. I kept it on low until the power came back on and the living room was at 87 degrees when the power came back on. We've had to use it for over eighteen hours during one long power outage a few years ago and it kept the house comfortably warm on a very cold day.

One of the nice things with kerosene heaters is that kerosene doesn't "go bad" so you don't have to replace the old kerosene frequently. I'd highly recommend a kerosene heater as a backup source. They're just a very nice, simple device.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

We heat w/ wood but have propane as a back-up and for stove, dryer etc. Also our whole house generator runs on propane. We have no complaints.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Super Contributor

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I truly appreciate your opinions!