Respected Contributor

Closing was last week, so it's over.  Never could I even imagine that house being sold, just seems like last week that we as a family lived there and everything was all OK.  The time has gone by and both my mom and dad are gone, my other siblings somewhere and living their own life, the entire family structure gone.

As suggested, I did stop in every room and say goodbye.  The house needed another family, it was a family home, not for someone single.  It needs attention, I just can't believe how a house starts to fall apart once somebody isn't living in it.  It wasn't like I didn't take care of it, didn't open the windows, keep it clean etc.  it just needs a lot of love and I couldn't dedicate myself to it.

I do have the memories, that oven made the most delicious dinners, baked the best home made baked goods, broiled the best lamb chops.  That stove cooked the best soups, fried the best french fries, made the most delicious beef stew.  I sure hope both the stove and oven does the same for the new owners.

I put the check in the bank and it does feel final, I turned over the keys and I'm sure they'll do their own thing to the house.  I'm not going to drive by, I won't put myself through that.  I've had some friends that told me how many trucks were there and how many people helping to move in, but I'm not interested.  If the text messages continue, I will be polite and say, thank you but that was a part of my life that was in the past and I need to move on.

Life goes on, I know it was just a building with 4 walls but it was my home.

Trusted Contributor

JustBling----How long Did you live there?  I totally know the feelings you are having.  Nearly 50yrs of FAMILY, sad, happy parties, babies born, Holidays and neighborhood parties. All the pets through, dogs mostly, but 1 duck, 1 opossum, Big giant spider, chipmunk, and dozens of baby white mice.

I feel such sadness for the younger generations, they won't have those things, those wonderful memories. Everything is disposable.  I still remember the phone number that went from party line to private line. Occasionally I call the number to say hello.  Crazy right there.

Many blessings for your new road to travel.---tedEbear

Trusted Contributor

After reading your post I can feel how difficult this is for you and I completely understand.  You are correct ~ life does go on but that doesn't make things any easier.  Just the other day I was thinking about how different everything was when I was a kid.  The holidays, the summers, everything.  Don't get me wrong, things aren't terrible now but there was just something about that time in my life.  My parents live nextdoor to us which is wonderful but a lifelong friend who was like a father to me passed away a couple years ago.  He lived just down the street ~ I have no choice but to drive by his house almost everyday and wonder about who is living there now.  I do understand.  I wish you nothing but the best!  It certainly sounds like you deserve it!  :-) 

Trusted Contributor

@Just Bling Prayers for you during this trying time

Honored Contributor

I understand this. But as we move on from going through this, we take wonderful memories. We can go on to the next chapter of our lives. You kissed that time goodbye in your life, but you can keep and treasure those memories forever. They are yours to keep.

Best wishes to you.

Honored Contributor

The memories will be with you forever,

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

Closing was last week, so it's over.  Never could I even imagine that house being sold, just seems like last week that we as a family lived there and everything was all OK.  The time has gone by and both my mom and dad are gone, my other siblings somewhere and living their own life, the entire family structure gone.

As suggested, I did stop in every room and say goodbye.  The house needed another family, it was a family home, not for someone single.  It needs attention, I just can't believe how a house starts to fall apart once somebody isn't living in it.  It wasn't like I didn't take care of it, didn't open the windows, keep it clean etc.  it just needs a lot of love and I couldn't dedicate myself to it.

I do have the memories, that oven made the most delicious dinners, baked the best home made baked goods, broiled the best lamb chops.  That stove cooked the best soups, fried the best french fries, made the most delicious beef stew.  I sure hope both the stove and oven does the same for the new owners.

I put the check in the bank and it does feel final, I turned over the keys and I'm sure they'll do their own thing to the house.  I'm not going to drive by, I won't put myself through that.  I've had some friends that told me how many trucks were there and how many people helping to move in, but I'm not interested.  If the text messages continue, I will be polite and say, thank you but that was a part of my life that was in the past and I need to move on.

Life goes on, I know it was just a building with 4 walls but it was my home.

@Just Bling- I loved reading your post.  When we sold my parents condo in April (they'd lived there since 1983), I also took a final walk through every room, took pictures and said goodbye and thank you to each room.  It seemed like the right thing to do.  And I understand what you mean when you say "the entire family structure is gone".  Sending my best wishes to you.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@Just Bling I'm grateful to you also, for articulating some of the things that have been part of my life since my mom got ill.

I know that even if you cherish what you have in the present, the ghosts of sites and faces and experiences are still hanging around and always need to be put in their proper place.

Thank you for posting this.

Esteemed Contributor

I want to wish you the best of everything in the future .... time goes by & things change .... when things don't go exactly the way I want them to I think of a line from the Sound of Music ... "when God closes a window He opens a door" .... this has always been true for me .... GOOD LUCK!!!! 🌷🌸🌷