Regular Contributor

Re: It finally happened- JCP closes in our area!

homedecor1 I think I live near that store and you (on the gulf side of the street)!

It's sad about that store because unfortunately it needed remodeled and so shortly after the remodel it will be gone. I believe that mall opened around 1980, it's truly needed in the area but the amount of stores closing is scary. The "anchor" stores in this mall are the only reason IMHO that it still surviving and now one will be gone.

I truly hope the mgmt. (which I believe is fairly new) can help turn this mall around. One ray of hope there is a new Ulta slated to open this spring.

Honored Contributor

They are not closing the one closest to me in Port charlotte mall. However, when i go there it is almost always empty. I used to love to go to Penneys for evertything from curtains to purses, but seldom go now.
Esteemed Contributor

Oh no..I got several jackets there this year..this is upsetting. I love JCP! Our local Macy's just closed and several others too elsewhere. Scary!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

I am really not surprised at this at all! They are closing one in our state, it is in a small town about 50 miles from where I live and we have a nice store! They can drive here or order online!

I actually thought Sears/Kmart would be closing stores before Penney's!

Super Contributor

On 1/16/2014 Sunshine Kate said:
On 1/15/2014 Scooby Doo said:

I have a $10 certificate and still couldn't find anything I wanted.

I've had many of those $10 coupons and could never find anything to buy. I finally quit going altogether.

That's how I feel about Kohls. I walked through the store 1x, and now I toss all those coupons in the trash.

Valued Contributor

I hope the one in my area does not close. I am a Penny's shopper and not just for myself, but also for my grandsons who are at the age where they need dress clothes for interviews and college meetings. I buy most of my underwear there and tops for the season. I like Penny's. I also shop at Kohl's. My clothes shopping at the Q is very limited because of the S/H charges and the fact that I like to try things on without the worry of sending the item back. I do buy some D&C pants that are the tried and true ones for me. If they have to close some stores that are under performing, I hope it is not the one near me.

Valued Contributor

I hope the one in my area does not close. I am a Penny's shopper and not just for myself, but also for my grandsons who are at the age where they need dress clothes for interviews and college meetings. I buy most of my underwear there and tops for the season. I like Penny's. I also shop at Kohl's. My clothes shopping at the Q is very limited because of the S/H charges and the fact that I like to try things on without the worry of sending the item back. I do buy some D&C pants that are the tried and true ones for me. If they have to close some stores that are under performing, I hope it is not the one near me.

Honored Contributor

Where do you get Kohl's coupons? I have a charge and I never get a darn thing from them. Same with Younker's. I think the problem is I never USE the charge, I pay cash. But if you want me as a customer and I know you are a coupon retailer, you need to send me the coupons.

Respected Contributor

Right now I understand there are no plans to close any stores in Louisiana. We have a relatively new store (about 6 years old) near us. Glad they will stay open as I don't want to see the newer mall going vacant, but I don't shop there anymore.

No longer working, so my wardrobe is much more casual. Their LC clothing is far inferior to what is available on QVC, and their shoe department is pitiful. They have a salon, but no one is ever in there when I have gone into the store. I purchased a couple of heavy shirts for DH last winter and once they were washed they had 3/4 sleeves. Never again. So Penney can't count on me for their business.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/15/2014 Scooby Doo said:

Closing 33 under performing stores and cutting back 2000 jobs. They just remodeled the store near me, but there still aren't many customers in there. I have a $10 certificate and still couldn't find anything I wanted.

I always opt for socks when I can't find anything that interests me. At least the $10 isn't wasted and I can always use socks.

Last time I was there and in line, a woman walked up to me and gave me her $10 certificate because she couldn't find anything either!