Honored Contributor

It finally happened- JCP closes in our area!

JCP used to be my go to store for everything until it changed about 2-3 years ago. During the holiday I went and it was barely stocked - just announced on our evening News 33 stores to close. 4 are in my area -- sad that they are closing but certainly know why!
Super Contributor

Re: It finally happened- JCP closes in our area!

Well, FOUR JCP's is way too many. Where do you live that you have four?

Honored Contributor

Outside Tampa area - apparently the one closest to us is closing by May 1st then the others to follow - then again, it may be the sign of the times here. I have seen a lot of empty storefronts (esp. in this particular mall - low end) and strip malls around here!

Just surprised that these are anchor stores to the mall. They said they were purchased by another company but did not get the name of the buyer.

Respected Contributor

Closing 33 under performing stores and cutting back 2000 jobs. They just remodeled the store near me, but there still aren't many customers in there. I have a $10 certificate and still couldn't find anything I wanted.

Super Contributor

same here in WI - I think about 4 of them.

Respected Contributor

The one by me seems to be barely hanging on ):
Honored Contributor

I haven't been to a store in so long I don't even know what they look like or have to offer anymore... There are three in my region, none of them really close and the closest is in a mall I won't go to and the last time I went they had just redone the store and it seemed to be a mess. One of the others is also in a really shaky mall. That leaves one I'd consider and it's a bit further than I feel motivated to go. I hate to see another retailer bite the dust, especially one that's been around so long and used to offer such variety, especially for home goods.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I am shocked that they would be closing so many of them in FL...I would think it would be a senior citizen's go-to. It was for my mother. I just find it odd...and can't understand why JCP started the downward spiral *SMH*

Respected Contributor

On 1/15/2014 Scooby Doo said:

Closing 33 under performing stores and cutting back 2000 jobs. They just remodeled the store near me, but there still aren't many customers in there. I have a $10 certificate and still couldn't find anything I wanted.

I've had many of those $10 coupons and could never find anything to buy. I finally quit going altogether.

Trusted Contributor

The only one near me is closing. I go to the salon there every 8-10 weeks to get my hair cut. I don't even venture out into the store because I never find anything that interests me. The last time I purchased anything at JCP was summer of 2011.The former Apple CEO ran the stores into the ground during his tenure with the changes he made. He's gone, rewarded for his monumental failure, & this is the result of it.