Esteemed Contributor

Re: Isn't the "wick" suppose to flicker on luminara candle?

After less than two years, all but 2 of the 18 Luminara candles I had stopped working.

Very disappointed that I didn't hear from them when I went to their website to ask about replacements/refunds. 

No, I didn't buy them AT their website, but, I still expected to at least have a response.

I won't buy them again no matter how lovely they are.

Respected Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

Sorry they didn't work out for you, returns are a pain. I don't really like candles with the plastic flame & prefer the black wick Candle Impressions...I can hear the raspberries now because they are so old school. I did cave & purchased 3 Luminaras with the embedded peppermint candies for 12.00 each to use with Christmas decorations on the fireplace mantle but that's it for me. My guess is the black wicks will be phased out, if it happens I'll miss them.

@kitcat51, I love those too. They are more realistic. When you burn a real column candle it is not long before the open flame is down in the candle and you just see the flicker. It is a look I love.

I have quite a few Mirage by Candle Impressions and Luminara with the open flame. None of the Mirage have failed. The fake looking flames when not lit and high collar are becoming more disagreeable to my eye. It is really nice in the evening though.

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

After less than two years, all but 2 of the 18 Luminara candles I had stopped working.

Very disappointed that I didn't hear from them when I went to their website to ask about replacements/refunds. 

No, I didn't buy them AT their website, but, I still expected to at least have a response.

I purchased some from QVC and some from other retailers.  All of them died within a few months.  I talked to the manager of the shop where I purchased 4.  She told me at least 60% of the customers she sold Liminara candles to all complained the candles had stopped working.  She said she would never carry them again and she hasn't.

Respected Contributor

You definitely got duds! I do know they must be on a flat and level surface for them to flicker. There is a magnet inside that makes the flame flicker and move. I have one that doesn't move at all. I still use it but place it further back. All my other ones are still working. I would return them. Good luck. 

Honored Contributor

take a look at costco this month 

Honored Contributor

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

@Witchy Woman wrote:

I purchased some from QVC and some from other retailers.  All of them died within a few months.  I talked to the manager of the shop where I purchased 4.  She told me at least 60% of the customers she sold Liminara candles to all complained the candles had stopped working.  She said she would never carry them again and she hasn't.

interesting

Honored Contributor

I contacted Q CS this morning.  The CS rep was very nice & she was able to request I be sent 2 new candles.  I appreciate this as I didn't want to send all 4 back.

Based on reviews I'll mark the boxes when I get them and use them so if anything goes wrong, I can have the info.

Trusted Contributor

I own over 50 Luminara candles in various sizes including rechargeable votives, pillar candles, lanterns, and window candles.  With the exception of a couple Christmas themed pillars and a couple of lanterns which are recent purchases, all of these candles, including my window candles, have been running 24/7 for the past 5 years.  I have never had one die on me.  I don't know if the quality has gone down in the past 5 years, if I'm just lucky, or if the candles that many contributors are referring to which die so quickly are knock-offs.  It just seems a bit strange to me that I could own so many of them and never have had a problem, yet some here have had such bad luck in such a short period of time.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't have an item number but I remember when Luminara first offered the slimmer 3" wide pillars in sets of 2 of equal heights, as opposed to the previous 3.5" wide pillars offered. They had lots of bad reviews and one reason I remember seeing was a faulty non-moving wick.   My mom bought some of them as is and sure enough, one of hers had a wick that would become completely still after a few seconds.  It was as if the magnetism inside was just not there!  She was refunded for the bad one and kept it.  IMO it is just not the same look as a Luminara with a working, moving wick.  

Honored Contributor

Boy, some of you have had some real trouble with Luminara. 

I have had only one fail after less than a year, and I did receive one that was broken (the wick) inside a lantern that I got for next to nothing during some Lunchtime special or something like that. I just kept it to use outside on the porch, and didn't care that the wick didn't dance for that use. I would guess I have at least 25 Luminara, but I rotate mine, and rarely are any used all year long, but more like seasonally.

I think that Luminara, with the moving flame is much more sensitive and subject to failure, as you have two things going on, the movement, and the light.

This is why I prefer the Mirage, with only the lighting to worry about. Just less fragile, much cheaper, and for the most part, I like the wax and colors much better than most Luminara that Q offers (I have a number of primitive Luminara I got elsewhere, that I really love a lot!).