Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is your decorating ever inspired by t.v. shows or movies?

Yes, I watch HGTV a lot & get lots of great decorating ideas!!

Honored Contributor

Love this thread! I want to live in a house that looks like Lucy's E. 68th St. apartment. If I could hire Fred and Ethel to stroll in once and a while it mght help me to stay on task.

I think they were called ".....the fabulous 50's....." because from 1929 'till 1940 or so, nobody could AFFORD to buy anything new, and during the War years, there wasn't anything available to buy, so by 1950, manufacturing had returned to domestic goods and everyone was ready for the big refresher.

My very favorite style is the "early American Ranch". I love 50's ceramics, and EVERYBODY WHO WAS ANBODY HAD THEM.

Honored Contributor

Oh my gosh when we were thinking of building the cottage we are living in now I searched everywhere for inspiration! I had a folder filled with ideas cut out of magazines. I think we've done a great job decorating this place! Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@terrier3 I have some coffee glasses I bought at the Brimfield flea market in Ma. Some years ago. A small glass cup that says "Buffalo's best cup of coffee" Deco Restaurants. Deposit 5 cents. I thought you might have heard of the restaurant.

@proudlyfromNJ

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono Yes, Lola that is it! Thank you.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hung a giant letter M in my kitchen.   And my name begins with G.

Honored Contributor

@giddy up wrote:

I hung a giant letter M in my kitchen.   And my name begins with G.

This may be my favorite response... ever!

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

I can't say my decorating was inspired by any tv shows, but I rememer as a teenager, one of my favorite shows was "Rhoda".  When she divorced her husband on the show, she moved into a amaller apartment and I absolutely loved that apartment!  I remember the kitchen cabinets were covered in some type of wallpaper and they looked so funky and unique!  I remember thinking I'd love to have an apartment like that!  I always loved her and her personality also...I wanted to wear what she wore (chunky necklaces and bracelets, boots and even wore head scarves and looked great in them!

I felt like her apartment's decor really showcased her personality! 

Honored Contributor

I still think one of the neatest home layouts was the one on the old Tim Allen show. I liked how they had at least 4 doors leading outside w/i a stones throw of each other. Something about that appealed to me.

Honored Contributor

No.  Decorating is not my thing.   I love color, but like my walls and surfaces mainly clutter free.  I display family pictures throughout my house, and some very special mementoes, but things like throw pillows, books or magazines on tables, candlesticks, etc are clutter in my eyes.   I've just always been weird that way, and think it's because my mother had every table surface in our living room covered with crocheted doilies and a ton of decorations that I had to remove and dust twice a week.   I may think it's pretty in your house, but it wouldn't work for me in my house.