Honored Contributor

Re: Is it rude to remove one's shoes when entering another's home?

On 12/27/2014 occasional rain said:
On 12/27/2014 sunshine45 said:
On 12/27/2014 JJ said:

may i suggest this product be kept in your purses at all times....then you will always be prepared!

http://www.footzyfolds.com/

Some people need to wear a supportive shoe at all times because of a medical condition. I have a sister that does. She would never be able to wear "footzy folds". I guess she would be rude to all of you with the "no shoes in the house" rule.

i never said i forced the issue. i stated that most everyone knows that people, friends, and family do not wear shoes in my home. i dont ask people to remove them, but MOST people do without me having to ask. it has been a part of my culture and this is how i grew up.

So you invite JJ's sister to your home for a get together. At your door she sees the others removing their shoes upon entering. How do you suppose JJ's sister will feel? Should she quietly leave or does she have to explain her health issue? Even if she gets the go ahead to wear her shoes, how comfortable, how enjoyable will her evening be?

i cannot say i have EVER had a problem with people taking their shoes off OR keeping them on if that is what they prefer. i personally dont make an issue of it......and again, most of my friends and family members have the same preferences in their own homes.

would YOU make me feel bad if i wanted to remove my shoes before entering YOUR home?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

On 12/27/2014 JJ said:

may i suggest this product be kept in your purses at all times....then you will always be prepared!

Some people need to wear a supportive shoe at all times because of a medical condition. I have a sister that does. She would never be able to wear "footzy folds". I guess she would be rude to all of you with the "no shoes in the house" rule.

i never said i forced the issue. i stated that most everyone knows that people, friends, and family do not wear shoes in my home. i dont ask people to remove them, but MOST people do without me having to ask. it has been a part of my culture and this is how i grew up.

So you invite JJ's sister to your home for a get together. At your door she sees the others removing their shoes upon entering. How do you suppose JJ's sister will feel? Should she quietly leave or does she have to explain her health issue? Even if she gets the go ahead to wear her shoes, how comfortable, how enjoyable will her evening be?

i cannot say i have EVER had a problem with people taking their shoes off OR keeping them on if that is what they prefer. i personally dont make an issue of it......and again, most of my friends and family members have the same preferences in their own homes.

would YOU make me feel bad if i wanted to remove my shoes before entering YOUR home?

I'd tell you there was no need for you to remove your shoes. I can't think wearing shoes would make you uncomfortable since you had them on when you arrived.

Valued Contributor

On 12/27/2014 PeterDM said:
On 12/27/2014 RJL-DLL 75 said:
On 12/27/2014 chickenbutt said:

Your house, your rules.

I agree and don't want friends who do not respect my wishes. There are too many bad things that we bring in on our shoes, germs, sp*t, insecticides and more. I have cats and don't want them expose to things like that. I have seen people sp*it and worse in public and don't want it being carried in on someone's shoes.

The individuals who believe that asking guests to remove their shoes upon entering their homes are wrong. Yes, you are the master or mistress of the house and have the authority to dictate how things run once people are in it. You also have the right to serve your guests hot dogs on paper plates while walking around with your finger up your nose. This, too, would show a lack of education and good taste. If I were to attend a party at one of my friend's who lives on the Main Line, and they asked the guests to remove their shoes, that would be there last party. They would be laughed out of society. I have never been asked to remove my shoes at a threshold. Never. If I WERE asked, I would assume that I was at the wrong door in the wrong neighborhood. To put it bluntly, asking guests to remove their shoes upon entering your home is an archaic and embarrassing practice of the lower classes. It is never appropriate, and it shows an unfortunate lack of knowledge and grace on behalf of the hostess. Feel free to argue with me, but you will not find any, proper etiquette manual that will support the enforcement of this practice. If you don't care for etiquette, that's fine. Enjoy being an Oscar Mayer Weiner.

Do you have to be so vulgar when you post? You claim to be well educated and you talk like this?

Super Contributor

I have never asked a guest in my home to remove their shoes. Some do, some don't. It's their choice.
Honored Contributor

If the doorbell rings, I'm not opening the door. Problem solved.
Super Contributor

For cultural and esthetic reasons I find the thought of someone walking in my home with their "outside" shoes on gross, filthy, repugnant - need I go on? TBS I do understand the OP's aversion to someone being barefoot in my home. Who knows what foot condition they may have and spread. So I keep a small basket of slipper sox by my door and I either let them take them home or I later wash them in hot water, detergent and bleach.

Respected Contributor

On 12/27/2014 chickenbutt said:

One must love the weekends - troll time.

LOL!

Don't go being an Oscar Meyer weenie now!

It's not done in polite society

~Enough is enough~
Frequent Contributor

On 12/27/2014 persiflage said:

This only happened at my house once. He came in the door and immediately removed his shoes, the rest is mostly a blur. It was George Clooney.

well, George could walk around in his boxer shorts for all I care. (but yeah, he would at least need those)

Honored Contributor

On 12/27/2014 JJ said:

I'd tell you there was no need for you to remove your shoes. I can't think wearing shoes would make you uncomfortable since you had them on when you arrived.

yes, there is a need.....my need.....i prefer to remove my shoes in my home and others homes. wearing them outside is totally different than wearing them inside someones home.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

very rude to ask guests to take off their shoes unless it is raining and their shoes are covered in mud.....in which case they should volunteer to take them off