Respected Contributor

Re: Is homemaking a chore or a love for you?

I love taking care of my family. I do like nights out,gives me a break from cooking.

Trusted Contributor

I am a homebody. Always have been.

I have done the work thing, in and out of the home, but I love to putter around the house and take care of gardens. I just wish I could still do some of the more demanding things, but I cannot.

I have been a SAHM (with a few stints of working from home) for almost 30 years. I love it, and it still gives me a thrill to see my family enjoy a meal, or be complimented on how nice the house looks. I love taking care of of family.

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Honored Contributor

I love taking care of my family, and I love my house, but I have learned not to sweat the small stuff. Life is way too short to obsess over my house and my stuff, so I don't do that anymore. I cook because I have to.

Respected Contributor

Still working full-time, 1.5 hour round trip commute, so housework is just an annoying chore! I do have a bi-weekly cleaning person, but she doesn't do laundry and, of course, cooking is something we have to do. Luckily my DH is very good around the house, does his own laundry, cooks sometimes, etc.

I would never tell him...but I would like to move. We live on 4 acres, in a house that's too big for just the two of us, and it's far away from EVERYTHING. The only thing I would really miss is my view of the lake. But DH designed/built this house himself, and loves it! I love it, too, but wouldn't mind something smaller, closer to town. Until/unless the upkeep gets to be too much for him--the property is wooded, with some lawn but not landscaped, there are always trees that need to be taken down, the driveway has to be scraped after a hard rain, etc. and he does all this himself--we'll probably never move.

Trusted Contributor

I totally enjoy the creative aspects of homemaking: decorating, making good meals, shopping for the home, etc. I don't mind the quicker, easier chores of daily life like dishwashing, making beds, tidying up, and laundry. I do not enjoy heavier chores like housecleaning (need to clean house this week, and find myself procrastinating), carpet cleaning, and yard work.......and I hate it more now that I'm older and have aches and pains. Cleaning house hurts and wears me out! I detest having to deal with the never-ending problems and challenges of home maintenance and repairs -- things that are leaking, breaking, cracking, breaking down......whatever. The shower in the master bath smells funky today, and I'm working on de-clogging and wondering if there could be a problem with the plumbing vent system. Absolutely hate this kind of thing and the threat of big repair costs constantly looming in the background.

Mixed bag. I must say that housekeeping is somewhat easier now that DH and I are both retired and it's just him, me, and our cats at home. He helps out with chores, and we're not all that messy, although he is a clutterer. But he keeps most of that confined to the upstairs where his "man cave" is.

Respected Contributor

I enjoy certain parts of homemaking and don't like other parts. I've always enjoyed decorating and I've always hated dusting. All other homemaking activities fall on a spectrum between those two. Mostly, I love having the freedom to choose how I spend my time which means the house is usually dusty. Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I hate housework and cooking but I do it. Decorating is always an enjoyable activity.

Esteemed Contributor

A chore especially when you get older and no help from dh.

Respected Contributor

Housework big Chore. Cooking is fun.

Super Contributor

Chore. I want to move to a condo with no outside maintenance and have a cleaning lady for the small inside. I cook because I have to. I would also love a cook or get takeout every night, LOL! I'm not big into decorating. I like things plain and simple, don't like a lot of stuff hanging on my walls, knick knacks and junk around, I like everything neat and in it's place. I don't mind straightening up, grocery shopping or doing the wash. I love organizing, cleaning out draws, closets and keeping everything neat and organized.