Honored Contributor

We're moving into an apartment and I would like to avoid having to buy an ironing board.  I don't do a lot of ironing basically just some of DH shirts that aren't wrinkle resistant.  I'm hoping to get along with just a steamer.  Maybe Joy Mangano's that gets very good reviews.

Any thoughts/suggestions/experiences with a steamer?

Respected Contributor

Make sure you have an area where you can hang the shirt against something safe.  I also use a large sueded leather barbecue glove so that I do not burn my arm or hand when I hold a section smooth.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

Re: Iron vs. Steamer

[ Edited ]

It's funny you mention this.  This morning, I steamed a new jacket from Joan Rivers with the Joy Mangano steamer.  I put my ironing board away in the basement a long time ago.  Just don't use it.  I steam!  If you are going to steam a lot, I would bypass the smaller steamer and go with the larger one (I think she still has two sizes??).

Honored Contributor

I have both and much prefer the upright steamer. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

I have a Rowenta and both sizes of the Joy steamer. I use them all. If you have shirts that you will want a crisp collar I still prefer the iron. There is a table top ironing board that is about 24" sold in craft stores that works fairly well for this type of task. If you are going to steam all the time then I would buy the large steamer. If I had to do it again, I would spend the $ for an upright steamer. It is so much easier on the arms and hands if you are steaming drapery, etc. It all depends on your amount of use.