Valued Contributor

I need a new bed (and mattress)

Thirty something years ago my DH and I bought a bedroom suit. The bed is a queen 4 poster bed.  The wood on one of the posts where the rail sits has split and one side of the bed leans (my DH is in a memory care place so it's just me and the little Chihuahua and cat on the bed).  So...I sleep on the good side and pray every night it doesn't collapse. I guess it's time to get a bed and a new mattress too which is long overdue. I want a full bed this time. I started looking online and didn't seen anything like I have.  i guess I need to go furniture shopping, but I'm already comfused on mattresses. Does anyone have any helpful advice? I know the clerks at the furniture and mattress stores are going to give me more info that I can process (esp.with mattresses).  Help!

Honored Contributor

Re: I need a new bed (and mattress)

Mattresses are the hardest thing for the consumer to buy.  Even if two stores sold basically the same mattress, you'd never know because the covering and the name would be different.  There is no way to compare prices or the quality of the products.

I've solved that problem by buying highly rated, but no-name brands of memory foam mattresses.  I won't be paying Tempurpedic prices but will get basically the same thing.  I have arthritis and love to sleep on memory foam.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@chihuahuamom, I have to agree with @Kachina624, that purchasing a mattress is one hard decision. It is true that comparing mattresses from one retailer to another is darn near impossible. They don't want you comparison shopping and make it as difficult as possible.

Choosing the mattress type is more important than the actual headboard/footboard/bed unit, so decide on the mattress/box spring/ adjustable base choices first.

First, I would suggest asking yourself just what kind of mattress you THINK you want, then consider ALL other options. Think toward the future (which I wish I had done a few years ago). We bought a new memory foam mattress several years ago, but when we got it, I never anticipated that I'd suffer with vertigo, and not be able to lay flat in a bed any longer. Had I thought about getting an adjustable bed and done so, I wouldn't be sleeping in a recliner right now (looking and trying to decide just what kind/size of adjustable to buy  as we speak).

Be aware of the benefits and limitations of each kind of mattress, be it inner spring, memory foam, a mix of those two, an air filled bed, adjustable etc. 

Visit more than one place if you can, and ask a lot of questions (the same ones at each place) and do some reading and searching online for information.

Try to find a place that gives a warranty for exchange if you aren't happy with the one or type you choose. And choose a place that will deliver and remove your old bedding for free if possible. Don't be afraid to try to negotiate free deliver/removal if the place you find what you like doesn't offer it. Many places will give it or a credit on the purchase to get the sale.

I see you are considering down sizing your bed, and that will give you much more room in your bedroom, as well as 'feel' different. Be sure that the smaller sleep space will work for you, as it is amazing how fast we get used to those bigger beds.

Good luck with the search and let us know what you decide.

Honored Contributor

@chihuahuamom

@Mominohio gave you perfect advice.  Focus on the mattress/boxspring set before the "furniture" portion of your purchase. 

One other thing to keep in mind is that if you sit up in bed, either consider the adjustable type of mattress mominohio mentioned, or just be sure that the mattresss you choose is firm enough so that you don't sink in while sitting up in bed.  It's just too uncomfortable sinking down while you're trying to read, or snack, or watch tv, etc.

I made the mistake of testing mattresses only by lying down and ended up with too soft a mattress.  I used my "one return/exchange" the store offered and got a somewhat firmer mattress, but it could have been avoided.  I'm still not sure I got a firm enough option.  

Best of luck to you in this process. 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

We have a Sleep Number bed (not from QVC), and it's one of my best purchases EVER!

When I think of all the money I wasted on a regular mattress and boxspring (through the years) it makes me sick.

Just love the Sleep Number.

Valued Contributor

Thank you all so much for taking the time to share your experiences.  I will certainly take that advice into consideration.Heart

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you're near a BJs or COSTCO or Sam's Club take a look there. Costco also sells a WONDERFUL 3" thick mattress pad.

We have a QVC foam mattress covered by a COSTCO 3" topper, covered by a CuddlEwe topper.

Most comfortable combo I've come up with and I'm a terrible sleeper.

GOOD LUCK!

Wanted to update- I just read an EXCELLENT review of COSTCO's foam mattress in Consumer Reports. We are needing a guest room mattress and I'm about set on buying there.........

Esteemed Contributor

I love our Sleep Number mattress! Ours is a king size (not split) and it's great. We have two different likes in a mattress. I prefer really firam and my husband likes soft. This solves the problem., I was a hugh Serta fan as well and I have that on the queen size guest bed.

First: decide on the type of firmess that you like. Second: narrow down the ttype of mattress-foam, air, etc. I purchased a set of memory foam pillows when I began looking for  a mattress to see if I would like that type and I couldn't stand them. Now my grandson loved them. It was worth it not to get a mattrees that would be disappointing.

Decide on the size of the bed. Check the measurements to be sure that you're not shoring yourself with a few extra inches

( Remember to measure the space in the room for the furniture size of the new bed.)

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just bought my Saatva set and it was delivered today. I replaced a sleep number that was not three years old because I hated it. When they picked it up to take it out today the one delivery guy said to the other guy "here's another one." Sleep number is the one they most trash when people replace.  And by the way, I absolutely love the Saatva - and it was about $1,000 because they are only online. I have slept better and not had pressure point issues, etc. since it showed up! These hybrid mattresses are great and this one did not smell hideous when it was delivered either!

Honored Contributor

I just bought a new mattress.  I went to four different places and spent a lot of time in each one.  I ended up with a Serta hybrid mattress from The Bed Store.  A hybrid mattress is half box springs and half foam.  I got a medium firmness, and I'm very happy with it.  

I don't remember if this is Serta's policy or The Bed Store's policy, but I have 120 days to exchange it if I'm not happy with it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau