Super Contributor

I need a new alarm clock....recommendations?

I'd like to pick up a new alarm clock. It should be battery operated and have regular Arabic numbers rather that LED numbers. I'd also like the hands to glow in the dark so I can see it at night. If you've gotten a new alarm clock lately and like it, tell me about it.

Honored Contributor

Re: I need a new alarm clock....recommendations?

Do you have a cell phone? There's an alarm clock in it.

A friend of mine got a clock radio that projects the numbers on the ceiling. In theory, it sounds like a good idea, but I know my husband would never go for it.

Regular Contributor

I wanted exactly what you describe. Found it at Pottery Barn. Search for Charleston Vintage Clock. Runs on battery; has progressive alarm. Does have glow in dark indicators in a faint green; not red luminescent and not overpowering at night. Also, we have frequent power outages here and, obviously, this clock still goes because it runs on battery. I've had it about eight years now and it just keeps on going........... (even tho' not Timex, "takes a licking and still keeps on ticking!!Smile)

Esteemed Contributor

Just don't get a "Smart Clock", worst purchase ever, lol.

Respected Contributor

On 11/21/2014 straitgirl said:

Just don't get a "Smart Clock", worst purchase ever, lol.

I love my smart clocks! One broke after about 6 years so I hunted for another one. I hate setting the time!

Honored Contributor

I bought a small one at Target years ago for $6.+, electric, and with a battery backup, works great.

Respected Contributor

Saw a news story recently that said a very high percentage of ppl use their cellphones.
Respected Contributor

Alarm clocks are going the way of rotary phones. No one uses them anymore under the age of 30.
Super Contributor

I love my smart clock....LOVE.

Honored Contributor

I love my clock I bought at Pottery barn. It is very heavy, and made of a high grade of brushed nickel finish, oil bronze and black. There are three sizes larger than mine, and one smaller. It has been a best seller for 10 years. You can place it on a table or shelf or hang it. It has the alarm, a second hand and the tips of the hands illuminate a little. The alarm starts out in light beeps, then gets a little faster, and will beep until shut off on top. it has a little pin you hit to stop alarm, and to set it. You can remove feet if you want to hang it.

I usually have this on counter in bathroom, as my husband likes it while getting ready for work. It is a great show piece, and quite a novelty. We are doing remodeling and had to move downstairs family room while construction is going on. The workmen come at 8am sharp. I took this alarm as mine broke. I seldom use an alarm clock, but am so worn out with all this construction, I need it to get up. Works perfect