Trusted Contributor

Re: I have got to get rid of too much saved papers I've been saving.

Just curious if anyone uses or is thinking of using that receipt copier thingy that puts them in digital format? 

dee

Esteemed Contributor

My Dad saved everything. 55 years worth of bills, statements ... every single thing.   After he passed away we help Mom go through all of it. 

There was so much stuff to shred!  Three 30 gallon garbage bags. She hired a company to come to her house to shred it.  It was under $100. 

Honored Contributor

I deal with what is today's paperwork nightmare every day.

All incoming mail is dealt with immediately each morning. I take all the stuff that I know I don't need, and put it in the burn barrel (we live out and can burn things with sensitive information, so I don't need to shred or worry about it being compromised). Letting things pile up, that you know from first sight you don't want/need is the first step to not being overwhelmed.

I keep files for things that do need kept. 

I have an accordion file that contains the instruction booklet/warranty information for things we buy. Anything from a washing machine to a camera. The file is arranged by category and I go through it every year and discard papers that belong to things we no longer own, or that I now don't think I need the manual for. 

I have another accordion file for  loan papers, bank statements, contracts etc. 

I have a file folder that I keep the papers we will grab in an emergency (fire, evacuation etc.) and it is kept in a fireproof safe. It contains Social Security cards, insurance cards and policies, immunizations records, deeds to property, car titles etc. I go through it each year to put any updated info that may come in, or discard others. I keep this file as small as possible, as the purpose is for it to be the most important things we need, but small and easy to grab and go in an emergency.

I always have things that I think I may or may not need in the future, and things I need to file but don't have the time to deal with on a daily basis (think medical EOB's, quotes for having a repair or improvement done on the house, bank statements etc.) I have a storage ottoman in the family room, and all those 'need to be filed' or 'need to hold on to for a while longer' papers get put in there. Then once or twice a year, I take a couple of hours while watching some TV show or movie I want to see and sort, file, or discard what is in there. 

I think the mistake people make is getting behind with this. They don't dispose daily of the unnecessary paperwork in their lives, they hang on to things that are necessary at the time, but don't revisit those piles/files and clean them out when the stuff is outdated or no longer relevant.

Computers were supposed to make us a paperless society, but in reality, there are now more papers in our lives than ever before. I feel the need to keep paper backups of the most important things, and not rely on it being there in cyber space if I need it. It does take a bit of work to keep it under control though.

Honored Contributor

We keep important papers like birth certificates and SS cards, deed to our house, titles to things like our camper in our safety deposit box. I only keep those papers we need to keep in there - that is why we pay for a SDB.

Respected Contributor

I often wonder how my parents managed their paper flow.  After my father passed (1992) and it was time to clear their home, we really didn't find an overabundance of files/documents.  Important documents, such as deeds, legal papers, financial documents, pertinent past employment and retirement items.  They only had a small file cabinet which they kept in a closet.

In their cedar chest kept in the attic we found a folder my mother kept of newspaper articles relating to WWII.  And a couple of shoe boxes of greeting cards she received when we were born, special birthdays, valentines we made her.  I still have them in my attic.  I intend on separating them and giving my brother and sister the cards that relate to them.

I wish I knew their secret on managing paper, yet being able to also keep some of the historic, heartwarming documents.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

It just seems to spawn and grow!!!!  So, this is going to be worse than pulling teeth. I realize that a lot of stuff I keep seems to be some deep-seated thoughts on "in case I need this down the road". I did see an article that gave 4 things to ask yourself and it made a lot of sense.  I really need to do this. It also said, do it for 15 minutes, some of which is to shred what needs to be shredded. It was a good article and I plan to get started.

Ok, got the cookbooks thinned out and down, and I see how badly this is needed. Mostly for starters this is just my saving section.

Wonder if anyone else has this or a similar mission to carry out or just get started on?

@qualitygal  The bain of my existence, paper!  Every year, I burn tons and recycle others, but because it grows every year, I am not ahead, but this month, I am determined.

Cookbooks, have mercy!  I have tons, and rarely use any as I make up recipes.  I should just put them in the donation box without looking through them, because when I do that, I can't part with many.  I give a few to DD to take with her during the year, but she doesn't have time to cook much, though I encourage her to do it and stop eating out so much.  I think when she has to pay for everything, that will change.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Five days after my Dad died, I got a letter from the US Treasury. My Dad was Executor of his Uncles's estate. And the Treasury Department had money that should have been included in my Dad's Uncles estate. 

My Dad's Uncle had died about 15 years before my Dad. In order to get the money I was to provide the Treasury Department with all the names, addresses and Social Security # for all the beneficiaries of the Uncle's Estate.

The estate was contested in Philadelphia and Germany. A lady my Uncle and his wife met on a cruise had a 3 line will (misspelling his wife's name) supposedly signed by my Dad's Uncle giving all his money to her. My Uncle was sick with cancer and died shortly after signing her will.  By contrast my Dad's Uncle had another will 36 meticulously handwritten pages giving his assets to his brothers and sisters and their families. After years of back and forth - The City of Philadelphia Court ruled in favor of the German lady.

So here it is at least 15 years later and I was supposed to find this German lady. My Dad had a trunk with much of the paperwork from his Uncle's will. I could not find much about the German lady - except she tried to fix me up with her son!?!?!?! Dad squashed that and obviously never told me - thank you DAD!

I am sure all the money transfers were made by the Bank (merged several times since the distribution of money). 

It opened my eyes. I rarely kept any paperwork after 6 years and many times not that long. And here the Treasury Department had money and came looking to distribute it many years later.

Trusted Contributor

i have alot of papers too, old bills, etc. i recently went out & bought a paper shredder for only about 30-40.00.... well worth it.. this way i shred a little bit at a time... i spend maybe 15 min a day shredding papers.. very easy & well worth it....

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal  When the kitchen was remodeled a few years ago, I had two draws made for hanging files just for recipes, now isn't that nuts!  They are stuffed with recipes that I have been saving since I was married, the majority of which I have never used.  I also go through these every winter, but then I just add more, and there are several fat folders with more that I tear out of magazines.  I have been good lately in not buying more magazines, but that is because I don't leave the house much since DD went away to school.  I tell myself just to dump it all except for a few favorite recipes, but I can't help myself from going through them, and then I am doomed, lol.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@qualitygal  When the kitchen was remodeled a few years ago, I had two draws made for hanging files just for recipes, now isn't that nuts!  They are stuffed with recipes that I have been saving since I was married, the majority of which I have never used.  I also go through these every winter, but then I just add more, and there are several fat folders with more that I tear out of magazines.  I have been good lately in not buying more magazines, but that is because I don't leave the house much since DD went away to school.  I tell myself just to dump it all except for a few favorite recipes, but I can't help myself from going through them, and then I am doomed, lol.

@mousiegirl, You're preaching to the choir on recipes!! I know, I know, I know. I shake my head once in awhile, and go, how'd that happen, I had that all taken care of. So I set myself down and go, really now, are you going to make that really? If I say no, I pack it on out to the recycle bin never to be seen again. I'm gettin better at not visiting web pages or copying recipes off line. It's a job!! One day, I just said, get rid of all those dessert pages you will never make!! That helps to do tough love on recipes! LOL