Super Contributor

I found a solution for the problem

Of the mud sparrows nesting on my porch. I was working on a 4th oh July wreath and it dawned on me that some if the garland that I was not going to use I could see if hanging it up on the porch would keep them away. I cut the garland in several pieces. I put a piece around each of my owls like a boa. I then wrapped a piece around the light fixture near the front door and another piece was wrapped around a standing lantern on the other side of the doors. Now they fly in and fly out. It is a miracle. The garland is very shiny.
Honored Contributor

Re: I found a solution for the problem

They are scared of it now because it is new; but unless you change things frequently to continue throwing them off, they will adjust to it and no longer be afraid.

Honored Contributor

The best way to keep birds away is with a barrier. Some netting or spikes works well. A cat works well too.

Super Contributor

On 6/3/2014 RedTop said:

They are scared of it now because it is new; but unless you change things frequently to continue throwing them off, they will adjust to it and no longer be afraid.

I know that. I ordered a bunch of things off of amazon that I will use to change it around.
Super Contributor

On 6/3/2014 brewhaha said:

The best way to keep birds away is with a barrier. Some netting or spikes works well. A cat works well too.

Allergic to cats.
Super Contributor

Good for you

Honored Contributor

On 6/3/2014 ~moxie~ said:
On 6/3/2014 brewhaha said:

Allergic to cats.

It's probably for the best that you are allergic. I just had to clean up barfed up bird remains off the basement floor, that our "bird controller" just had to indulge in. Love my cats, but it gets old cleaning up their work!!