Trusted Contributor

Re: How to get rid of stains in a porcelain tub left by a bath mat

Baking soda. We have a 40 year old white porcelain tub and I had tried using a strong bleach cleanser -- the result was brown rust stains due to a chemical reaction. I thought the tub was ruined but then I read that the tub needed to be "neutralized" with baking soda. I tried it and it worked!!!! All the stains disappeared. Just used a baking soda paste -- nothing fancy -- and good as new!

Valued Contributor

Again, BARKEEPER'S FRIEND !!!!  Yes, I'm yelling.  Smiley Happy

It's so inexpensive, easy, and it works!  I can't even begin to tell you the things that BF has taken out, including stains from old porcelain sinks and tubs.

I make sure the area is good and wet, then sprinkle enough of the BK on the stains so it turns out to be a paste.  Wait a while, then scrub the stains out.  Easy.  Use a scrubby type sponge thingy to scrub.

BF is an older product, and the best kept secret in the world.

Trusted Contributor

If you think it is rust try Whink Rust Remover…it works wonders! Also, be careful with Magic Erasers on porcelain, as it can easily and permanently scratch the surface.
Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Trusted Contributor

I had a porcelain tub in a home I lived in many years ago. I got it looking brand new by filling it with hot water, 4 gallons of bleach, and a gallon of CLR. Just open a window or turn on the ventilator fan first, and dump it all in before you go to bed and shut the door. The next morning drain it and immediately hit it with several Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Sponges and some elbow grease. 

Valued Contributor

Thanks all for the suggestions. My cousin did some research online for ideas as well and ended up trying the Barkeepers Friend. He used this, along with a pumice stone. Although this didn't make it 100 percent white again, it did get the ugly brown stains off. Had to use a lot of elbow grease, but much better now. He may have to later on have it resurfaced (painted?--whatever they do to make it look new again). After all, it's very old (is clawfooted). Thanks again everyone for your help.

Honored Contributor

I'm pretty sure Barkeepers Friend or Bon Ami is what Nicole Curtis from Rehab Addict uses on her old clawfoot tubs.

You can't see the product name, but it looks like one of those cans.  I really think they are one and the same with different labels on them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some other uses for BARKEEPERS FRIEND:

Ceramic cookware

Glass top stove

Rust on carpet

Hard water spots...on anything

download (1).jpg

Bon Ami is this one below:

download (2).jpg