Honored Contributor

Re: How often do you paint the inside of your house?

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@faeriemoon  By house snob, I was not calling those that like to update their homes snobs....I guess I should have explained better.... I had a "suppose" best friend who I invited over to my home for coffee.  She walked into the house and the first comment that came out of her mouth was "Oh, your home is so dated"  it really hurt me in my heart, as I love my home and she just broke my heart.  I knew she was very much into new and really nice etc....but, I never thought she would verbally shoot me her friend(?) down.  I never discussed this with her....but it was the deal breaker and the end of my friendship with her.  So that is who I call a snob, someone who shoots another person down for not making updating your LIFE a number one importance.  Sorry if I did not explain better. 

@SeaMaiden I'm sorry your friend insulted your house.  That was a rotten thing to say. Woman Mad

Honored Contributor

Speaking of grey's; I have my living room/dining room painted in a color called "cement", you are thinking grey, right? Nope, it's a soft dusty sage color, it also changes with the light that hits it. It's a really nice color.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

I think before the days of HGTV and shows like it, the common way things were done was when something could not be repaired anymore it was replaced, and not until then. Flooring was replaced when the old was worn out, furniture was purchased when new was needed, and not before. people did not gut a kitchen or bathroom to replace them until they did not  function anymore. Entire families got ready to go in the morning in one bathroom and managed quite well. Entire families bathed in the evening in one tub/shower. We were a family of 7 and we had one bathroom, one TV and one living room to sit in, and one phone. Amazing isn't it. We didn't feel at all underprivledged,as what we had was commonly what everyone else had too.

Honored Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

image.jpeg

@bri20 Gorgeous colors!!

Esteemed Contributor

We have lived in this house 31 years. 

I lost count how many times I have painted the inside. 

DH teases me, that I love to paint.  I don't love to paint, but I do love how it looks after it's painted.

Respected Contributor

I never thought about it, really! I paint a room if I redecorate or if something happens, like a big scratch in the wall. Otherwise, they stay as is! Oh, I have never washed a wall in my life, or wouldn't even know how to!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I think before the days of HGTV and shows like it, the common way things were done was when something could not be repaired anymore it was replaced, and not until then. Flooring was replaced when the old was worn out, furniture was purchased when new was needed, and not before. people did not gut a kitchen or bathroom to replace them until they did not  function anymore. Entire families got ready to go in the morning in one bathroom and managed quite well. Entire families bathed in the evening in one tub/shower. We were a family of 7 and we had one bathroom, one TV and one living room to sit in, and one phone. Amazing isn't it. We didn't feel at all underprivledged,as what we had was commonly what everyone else had too.

It didn't work that way at my house.  My mother LOVED to change things up.  For about four years, she painted the kitchen cabinets a different color every year.  Once she put some kind of bamboo woven stuff in the middle and bamboo half round molding around it.  Painted it a soft gold and antiqued it and was beautiful.

We repapered the dining room frequently, repainted the accent wall in the den, and every summer I had to repaint the whole den after I was about 13.  Kept me pretty busy and the house looking good!  We didn't have much money, everything was done by mother and me.  We would go look at wallpaper books for hours and order enough for the accent wall in the dining room--so it wasn't expensive to do but labor intensive!  

Like I said, we didn't have much money, but we looked for bargains and were so happy with what we did--well, MOST of what we did!  LOL!!!  Some of my fondest memories are painting furniture or working on that little old house! 

Esteemed Contributor

We are painting our new house gray. Except my bedroom. White kitchen cabinets with stained island and grey and white quartz countertops. My parents repainted the upstairs when we all moved out. Other then that is has probably been 25 years for the living room and kitchen. We will repaint a neutral color before we put it on the market in the spring.
Esteemed Contributor

My bedroom right now is ice gray.
Respected Contributor

Our home was 14 years old when we had it painted.  We're in our early 70's and there's no way we could do it,  so we hired painters and the cost was around $3400.  The house has 10 ft. ceilings throughout and is just over 1500 sq. ft.  That of course included the walls, ceilings, trim, doors, etc.