Honored Contributor

Re: How often do you paint the inside of your house?

@faeriemoon wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I am a firm believer in keeping your house as fresh and updated as you can.  If you don't you will use the money you would have spent (at least a BIG chunk of it) and have not had the pleasure of living in a better looking and fresher house.  

You don't gain much if at all by letting it go. . . why not enjoy it yourself too?

I agree!!  As another poster suggested, I guess I'm a house snob!!  LOL!  I am very into ambiance and the comfort (mental) of being in surroundings that make me happy.  I am always doing "house things", whether it's updating, decorating, painting or cleaning.  I always have my next project in mind.  Woman Happy

Are you my mother?  LOL!!!  Oh my she always had something torn up redoing it.   Once she was going to build another closet and when my dad came home from work the front of the house was torn up and big holes were there. . . she was putting in new windows too.  He said "You ALWAYS run something else in on me when you start these projects."  Yep. 

I won't even tell you about the time he came home and had to park in the front yard because there was a concrete truck in the driveway pouring concrete in the back yard. . . 

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I am a firm believer in keeping your house as fresh and updated as you can.  If you don't you will use the money you would have spent (at least a BIG chunk of it) and have not had the pleasure of living in a better looking and fresher house.  

You don't gain much if at all by letting it go. . . why not enjoy it yourself too?

I agree!!  As another poster suggested, I guess I'm a house snob!!  LOL!  I am very into ambiance and the comfort (mental) of being in surroundings that make me happy.  I am always doing "house things", whether it's updating, decorating, painting or cleaning.  I always have my next project in mind.  Woman Happy

Oh gosh me too, my husband is like this as well. We have fun decorating and changing things out. It makes us feel good. Not always expensive to add alittle bit to a room, or to update, sometimes it's just changing a rug, or adding a new painting, or candles, but it is importnt to us to have a nice, clean, homey and inviting home........ 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Are you my mother?  LOL!!!  Oh my she always had something torn up redoing it.   Once she was going to build another closet and when my dad came home from work the front of the house was torn up and big holes were there. . . she was putting in new windows too.  He said "You ALWAYS run something else in on me when you start these projects."  Yep. 

I won't even tell you about the time he came home and had to park in the front yard because there was a concrete truck in the driveway pouring concrete in the back yard. . . 

@Sooner, ha, sounds like my kind of woman. I do things like that too. Hubby is continually surprised. Lol

"To each their own, in all things".
Valued Contributor

We, too, have lived in our house 28 years.  Painted everthing then, and since have repainted most rooms once.  Last year we finally repainted woodwork; it was a semi-gloss oil enamel that wore like iron.

yes, you should paint over that builder's paint.  I suggest that every time there is a scuff or mark you hand the fast disappearing paint can to your husband.  I'll bet he'll say yes to washable paint pretty quickly.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@faeriemoon  By house snob, I was not calling those that like to update their homes snobs....I guess I should have explained better.... I had a "suppose" best friend who I invited over to my home for coffee.  She walked into the house and the first comment that came out of her mouth was "Oh, your home is so dated"  it really hurt me in my heart, as I love my home and she just broke my heart.  I knew she was very much into new and really nice etc....but, I never thought she would verbally shoot me her friend(?) down.  I never discussed this with her....but it was the deal breaker and the end of my friendship with her.  So that is who I call a snob, someone who shoots another person down for not making updating your LIFE a number one importance.  Sorry if I did not explain better. 

Respected Contributor

It depends. 

When I look at all the newer colors available, I get the itch to re-paint everything.  When you have an open floor plan, it's a big undertaking.  It's so worth it to love how everything looks, IMO.

I spend a lot of time at home and I have to feel like my home is updated and soothing...

Honored Contributor

@athenian wrote:

We, too, have lived in our house 28 years.  Painted everthing then, and since have repainted most rooms once.  Last year we finally repainted woodwork; it was a semi-gloss oil enamel that wore like iron.

yes, you should paint over that builder's paint.  I suggest that every time there is a scuff or mark you hand the fast disappearing paint can to your husband.  I'll bet he'll say yes to washable paint pretty quickly.

OMG - NEVER - if he just looks at paint he gets it all over everything. He absolutely is never allowed to get anywhere near any paint. To repair a 1" scuff would leave a 3 foot trail of spilled paint everywhere. I remember when we were in high school his Mom let him paint his room - by the time he was done I thought they were going to kill him. His Mom was so PO'ed!!!

Honored Contributor

The thing is I have decorated around this beigy color (kiliam beige) so I would most likely paint it the same color. I find I really like having the entire house htis same color - it's very soft and relaxing to the eye, and it is nice to have everywhere your eye lands be the same color. I would change the ceilings though. They are currently stark white and I would like a much softer color so I will paint the ceilings desert white - which is a very pale beige.I have white crown molding that would show up nicer against desert white than it does against the stark white. Desert white is on the same paint strip as our beige - it is the lightest shade and the beige is in the middle, so I know they would work together.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bri20 wrote:

It depends. 

When I look at all the newer colors available, I get the itch to re-paint everything.  When you have an open floor plan, it's a big undertaking.  It's so worth it to love how everything looks, IMO.

I spend a lot of time at home and I have to feel like my home is updated and soothing...

Whenever I look at HGTV or at decorating magazines anymore all they are showing is grey. I hate grey walls. I worked in a hospital where they painted all the walls grey for years and years, hated it there and would NEVER paint anything in my home grey.All the beautiful colors out there - why would anyone chose grey? But I know many people have it. Would never be my choice.

I think grey lookms nice on the outside of a house though. Grey house - white trim and a red or burgundy or navy door is very pretty.

Respected Contributor

Grey is a fabulous color to work with.  It has to be the right shade of grey.  My bedroom is Sea Glass.  Sometimes it looks grey and other times it can look blue or even green - depends on the lighting.  I assure you my bedroom doesn't look like a hospital.   Paint is just one part of the decorating puzzle.  The right paint makes or breaks a room, IMO.