How much does it cost for window replacement?

Hi! I’m planning to replace the windows of my house in order to improve the energy efficiency. The condition is miserable during winter and summer seasons because of the low energy efficiency of windows. We are planning to hire the window installers in our locality (Toronto), but before that I just want to know how much does the window replacement costs? I’m using this service for the first time. Is it something that I can do it by myself? I would appreciate any comments. Thanks!   

Honored Contributor

Re: How much does it cost for window replacement?

Price really depends on the kind of windows you want.   There are many brands from what I think are reasonably priced to very expensive.   When I replaced the windows in my house, I went with a less expensive one and theyve held up very well, just as well as my parents expensive Pella windows.   

Get some quotes and information from different window companies and compare.

Esteemed Contributor

I would ask neighbors and friends before buying new windows. New windows are no better than the install.

http://www.homedepot.ca/know-how/buying-guides/windows

http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/products/categories/fenestration/buying/13956

Respected Contributor

Price will vary WIDELY depending on quality.  For just 1 window there was a price difference of $700.0 from the cheapest to most expensive option.  My advice  ONLY work with window companies, avoid Lowes and such.  Have the measure, ordering and install done by one company that way if there is a problem there is only one company responsible  (no finger pointing).

Honored Contributor

I agree with everyone else -- call several companies for quotes and you will see they are all over the place.You have to pay careful attention to what they are offering that is unique to each company.How much also depends on the size of the window and features you want. I highly recommend getting ones that you can flip the outside to the inside to clean. It makes it so much easier.

My house is only 5 years old but came with cheap windows and I would love to replace them.

Esteemed Contributor

I worked for a window and door company about 20 yrs ago. My advice would be to buy the best that you can afford.....

Esteemed Contributor

Study the options and costs carefully.  My neighbor just paid over $25,000 for all new windows. They will never live long enough to recoup that in energy costs.

Also, some energy efficient windows have a greenish tint that is obvious when hung. Those have changed the entire outside appearances to many houses ( and not in a good way, IMO).

Respected Contributor

Two different friends recently replaced their windows and they paid two widely different prices from two different local companies but I do.t know the quality differences.  I live in a house that's around 100 years old and I haven't /won't change the Windows because I love the wavy bubble look in the original glass. It definitely isn't energy efficient. It is definite beautiful. Expensive and beautiful,LOL. Good luck,it's a big decision.

Trusted Contributor

Please save yourself the aggravation and do not do window replacements from someplace like Home Depot. A very good friend used Home Depot...it was a nightmare as soon as a couple of the windows were delivered damaged.

We replaced 21 windows in our home 5 years ago in late winter.  Companies are begging for winter work especially if you live in a cold climate so  you may get a better deal by installing over the winter.

In the end we paid just over $13,000.  Again, that was 5 years ago.

The energy costs have been awesome, but we had to replace our windows.  More than one was rotting out of the frames...moisture between the panes...it wasn't good.

Get estimates, and ask neighbors if you can.  We asked a neighbor across the street that did their windows 6 months before we did and I used Angie's List to pick the companies for the 3 quotes we got. 

Respected Contributor

This is one place where you don't want to purchase the cheapest option -- there is a reason they are so cheap, and you will notice it soon.  You don't want that.  Buy a better quality and spend more per unit.  Doesn't need to be the best, just not the least.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York