Honored Contributor

Re: How many people here still use and burn real candles?

I do.  I try very hard to not use things that eat batteries because they are so bad for the environment.  There was a time when I had many flameless candles all over the house.  Now, just a couple.  I burn jar candles in the kitchen in two specific locations where I can't forget to extinguish them.

Respected Contributor

The only time I burn candles is when I'm deep frying something.  They do absorb the smell/smoke.   Otherwise I use these burners.   I have 4 throughout the house.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

I do.  I usually use Yankee Candle.  I love the fragrence in the house.

Honored Contributor

Oh boy--  I have to confess, I love both flameless and real candles.  Have largely converted to flameless, for all the good reasons people have posted here.  But i do like also the romance of a real, flickering, melting candle at times.  Oh, and we also use a handsome metal vintage looking wax melter off and on.

I burn tea lights too since we have the usual assortment of tea light holders hanging around.  I like that they are not messy, and you just discard the little metal container when they are played out.  

I'm most obsessed with candle holders of all kinds--  hurricanes, slim candlesticks, new and antique, and wide pedestals for pillar candles--  iron, wood, gilt, etc.   There's something about them-- they have an "architectural" feeling, I guess, and do so much for the mood and look of a room.  They don't even necessarily have to have candles in them...   

Respected Contributor

I burn one real candle in my kitchen which is Bird of Paradise from Circle E Candles. It is sort of my trademark and everyone always comments on how wonderful the house smells. It is a really clean burning candle. I only have it lit when I am in the kitchen and then I blow it out when I leave the room. I have a lot of the battery operated candles in the rest of the house and they are all on timers. It is just safer that way.

Honored Contributor

I've always loved burning real candles! But for the past 8 years I just use flameless candles. Thanks to my very rambunctious kitties I would never have an open flame around them.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@debic wrote:

The only time I burn candles is when I'm deep frying something.  They do absorb the smell/smoke.   Otherwise I use these burners.   I have 4 throughout the house.

I have never seen one of these..

Esteemed Contributor

I do.  I just bought 40 jar candles on sale - I have 3 burning right now!  I extinguish them outside and trim the wicks before each use.  It's a bit of a ritual, and I love the aroma and warm look.

Sometimes I'm into scented tea lights.  I like that they extinguish themselves after 4 hours or so.  I've found a pretty good price on them at IKEA.  They can be ridiculously pricey (especially when you burn a lot of them, as I do).

Merry Christmas!

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I have a bird, so I haven't really used candles for quite a few years (he's been with us for 12-13 years now).  

But I do have a couple in my master suite that I've cranked up over the years.   

Our house is somewhat large, with the bird's bedroom in the very front and my bedroom is all the way in the back.  So, I figure it's safe as long as it's behind closed doors.

I really was never all that much a candle person, anyway.  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

I still burn real candles, I  agree with Sweetbaymagnolia, it is a bit of a ritual that I enjoy in my home.  I burn 1 every night and keep a real candle in my quest bathroom and media room.  I will burn these we we have quest.  I have a large stash of jar candles and never miss an opportunity to add to this collection whenI I find something I like. 

Cheerful Giver canles are vary good and a good cause.  I have a lot of flamless candles I enjoy for the convenience but will never replace my real candles.